Mapping of Yr62 and a small-effect QTL for high-temperature adult-plant resistance to stripe rust in spring wheat PI 192252
- 860 Downloads
This manuscript reports a new gene (Yr62) and a small-effect QTL for potentially durable resistance to stripe rust and usefulness ofYr62markers for marker-assisted selection.
Stripe rust, caused by Puccinia striiformis f. sp. tritici (Pst), is a devastating disease of wheat worldwide. Spring wheat germplasm PI 192252 showed a high level of high-temperature adult-plant (HTAP) resistance to stripe rust in germplasm evaluation over 8 years in the State of Washington. To elucidate the genetic basis of resistance, PI 192252 was crossed with ‘Avocet susceptible’. A mapping population of 150 F5 recombinant inbred lines was developed using single-seed descent. Stripe rust tests were conducted with selected Pst races in a greenhouse and in field conditions under natural infections. The relative area under the disease progress curve (rAUDPC) data showed continuous distributions, indicating that HTAP resistance of PI 192252 was controlled by quantitative trait loci (QTL). Two QTL were identified in PI 192252, explaining 74.2 % of the total phenotypic variation for rAUDPC. These two QTL were mapped to chromosomes 4BL (QYrPI192252.wgp-4BL) and 5BS (QYrPI192252.wgp-5BS) with SSR and SNP markers and explained 40–60 and 22–27 %, respectively, of the phenotypic variation across the four environments. Because the major-effect QTL on 4BL is different from previously named Yr genes and inherited as a single gene, it is named Yr62. The SSR marker alleles Xgwm192222 and Xgwm251133 flanking Yr62 were different from the alleles in various wheat varieties, suggesting that these markers could be useful in marker-assisted selection for incorporating Yr62 into commercial cultivars.
- Cavanagh CR, Chao S, Wang S, Huang BE, Stephen S, Kiani S, Forrest K, Saintenac C, Brown-Guedira GL, Akhunova A, See D, Bai G, Pumphrey M, Tomar L, Wong D, Kong S, Reynolds M, da Silva ML, Bockelman H, Talbert L, Anderson JA, Dreisigacker S, Baenziger S, Carter A, Korzun V, Morrell PL, Dubcovsky J, Morell MK, Sorrells ME, Hayden MJ, Akhunov E (2013) Genome-wide comparative diversity uncovers multiple targets of selection for improvement in hexaploid wheat landraces and cultivars. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 110:8057–8062PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Chen XM, Penman L, Wan AM, Cheng P (2010) Virulence races of Puccinia striiformis f. sp. tritici in 2006 and 2007 and development of wheat stripe rust and distributions, dynamics, and evolutionary relationships of races from 2000 to 2007 in the United States. Can J Plant Pathol 32:315–333CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- He ZH, Lan CX, Chen XM, Zou YC, Zhuang QS, Xia XC (2011) Progress and perspective in research of adult-plant resistance to stripe rust and powdery mildew in wheat. Sci Agric Sin 44:2193–2215Google Scholar
- Line RF, Chen XM (1995) Successes in breeding for and managing durable resistance to wheat rusts. Plant Dis 79:1254–1255Google Scholar
- Line RF, Qayoum A (1992) Virulence aggressiveness, evolution, and distribution of races of Puccinia striiformis (the cause of stripe rust of wheat) in North America, 1968-87. U.S. Department of Agriculture Technical Bulletin No. 1788, the National Technical Information Service, Springfield, p 44Google Scholar
- Sears ER, Sears LMS (1978) The telocentric chromosomes of common wheat. In: Ramanujan S (ed) Proceedings of the 5th International Wheat Genet Symposium Indian Society of Genetics and Plant Breeding. Indian Agri Res Inst, New Delhi, pp 389–407Google Scholar
- Sharma-Poudyal D, Chen XM, Wan AM, Zhan GM, Kang ZS, Cao SQ, Jin SL, Morgounov A, Akin B, Mert Z, Shah SJA, Bux H, Ashraf M, Sharma RC, Madariaga R, Puri KD, Wellings C, Xi KQ, Wanyera R, Manninger K, Ganzález MI, Koyda M, Sanin S, Patzek LJ (2013) Virulence characterization of international collections of the wheat stripe rust pathogen, Puccinia striiformis f. sp. tritici. Plant Dis 97:379–386CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sourdille P, Singh S, Cadalen T, Brown-Guedira GL, Gay G, Qi L, Gill BS, Dufour P, Murigneux A, Bernard M (2004) Microsatellite-based deletion bin system for the establishment of genetic-physical map relationships in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Funct Integr Genomics 4:12–25PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wang S, Basten JC, Zeng ZB (2010) Windows QTL Cartographer 2.5. Department of Statistics, North Carolina State University, RaleighGoogle Scholar