Mapping quantitative trait loci for preharvest sprouting resistance in white wheat
- 659 Downloads
The premature germination of seeds before harvest, known as preharvest sprouting (PHS), is a serious problem in all wheat growing regions of the world. In order to determine genetic control of PHS resistance in white wheat from the relatively uncharacterized North American germplasm, a doubled haploid population consisting of 209 lines from a cross between the PHS resistant variety Cayuga and the PHS susceptible variety Caledonia was used for QTL mapping. A total of 16 environments were used to detect 15 different PHS QTL including a major QTL, QPhs.cnl-2B.1, that was significant in all environments tested and explained from 5 to 31% of the trait variation in a given environment. Three other QTL QPhs.cnl-2D.1, QPhs.cnl-3D.1, and QPhs.cnl-6D.1 were detected in six, four, and ten environments, respectively. The potentially related traits of heading date (HD), plant height (HT), seed dormancy (DOR), and rate of germination (ROG) were also recorded in a limited number of environments. HD was found to be significantly negatively correlated with PHS score in most environments, likely due to a major HD QTL, QHd.cnl-2B.1, found to be tightly linked to the PHS QTL QPhs.cnl-2B.1. Using greenhouse grown material no overlap was found between seed dormancy and the four most consistent PHS QTL, suggesting that greenhouse environments are not representative of field environments. This study provides valuable information for marker-assisted breeding for PHS resistance, future haplotyping studies, and research into seed dormancy.
This research was supported by National Research Initiative Competitive Grants 2005-35301-15728 and 2006-55606-16629 from the USDA Cooperative State Research, Education, and Extension Service and Hatch project, pp 149–419.
- Anderson JA, Ogihara Y, Sorrells ME, Tanksley SD (1992) Development of a chromosomal arm map for wheat based on RFLP markers. Theor Appl Genet 83:1035–1043Google Scholar
- Anderson JA, Sorrells ME, Tanksley SD (1993) RFLP analysis of genomic regions associated with resistance to preharvest sprouting in wheat. Crop Sci 33:453–459Google Scholar
- Basten CJ, Weir BS, Zeng ZB (1994) Zmap—a QTL Cartographer. In: Smith C, Gavora JS, Benkel B, Chesnais J, Fairfull W, Gibson JP et al (eds) Proceedings of the 5th World congress on genetics applied to livestock production: Computing Strategies and Software, Guelph, Ontario, CanadaGoogle Scholar
- Basten CJ, Weir BS, Zeng ZB (2002) QTL Cartographer. Department of Statistics, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NCGoogle Scholar
- Bewley JD, Black M (1994) Seeds:Physiology of Development and Germination. Plenum Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Flintham J (2000) Different genetic components control coat-imposed and embryo-imposed dormancy in wheat. Seed Sci Res 10:43–50Google Scholar
- Heun M, Kennedy AE, Anderson JA, Lapitan NLV, Sorrells ME, Tanksley SD (1991) Construction of a restriction fragment length polymorphism map for barley (Hordeum vulgare). Genome 34:437–447Google Scholar
- Sourdille P, Gandon B, Chiquet V, Nicot N, Somers D, Murigneux A et al (2004) Wheat Genoplante SSR mapping data release:A new set of markers and comprehensive genetic and physical mapping data. Graingenes. http://wheat.pw.usda.gov
- Zanetti S, Winzeler M, Keller M, Keller B, Messmer M (2000) Genetic analysis of pre-harvest sprouting resistance in a wheat × spelt cross. Crop Sci 40:1406–1417Google Scholar