The QTL analysis on maternal and endosperm genome and their environmental interactions for characters of cooking quality in rice (Oryza sativa L.)
- 214 Downloads
Investigations to identify quantitative trait loci (QTLs) governing cooking quality traits including amylose content, gel consistency and gelatinization temperature (expressed by the alkali spread value) were conducted using a set of 241 RIL populations derived from an elite hybrid cross of “Zhenshan 97” × “Minghui 63” and their reciprocal backcrosses BC1F1 and BC2F1 populations in two environments. QTLs and QTL × environment interactions were analyzed by using the genetic model with endosperm and maternal effects and environmental interaction effects on quantitative traits of seed in cereal crops. The results suggested that a total of seven QTLs were associated with cooking quality of rice, which were subsequently mapped to chromosomes 1, 4 and 6. Six of these QTLs were also found to have environmental interaction effects.
The project was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (no. 30571198) the National Basic Research Program of China (973 Program, no. 2007CB109000), the Science and Technology Office of Zhejiang Province (Nos. 011102471 and 2007C22016) and 151 Foundation for the Talents of Zhejiang Province. We also thank Prof. Q. F. Zhang for providing the molecular marker and Mr. Murali for improving the English of the manuscript.
- Li JM, Xiao JH, Grandillo S, Jiang LY , Wan YZ, Deng QY, Yuan LP, McCouch SR (2004) QTL detection for rice grain quality traits using an interspecific backcross population derived from cultivated Asian (O. sativa L.) and African (O. glaberrima S.) rice. Genome 47:693–704Google Scholar
- Liu HZ, Lin TX, Tragoonrung S, Vanavichit A (2000) Mapping QTLs for amylose content of grain with molecular markers in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Acta Agronomica Sinica 26:777–782Google Scholar
- McCouch SR, Cho YG, Yano M, Paul E, Blinstrub M, Morishima H, Kinosita T (1997) Report on QTL nomenclature. Rice Genet Newsl 14:11–13Google Scholar
- Sano Y (1985) Gene regulation at the waxy locus in rice. Gamma Field Symp 24:63–79Google Scholar
- Wang DY, Zhang XF, Zhu ZW, Chen N, Min J, Yao Q, Yan JU, Liao XY (2005) Correlation analysis of rice grain quality characteristics. Acta Agronomica Sinica 31(8):1086–1091Google Scholar