Development of simple sequence repeat (SSR) markers and construction of an SSR-based linkage map in Italian ryegrass (Lolium multiflorum Lam.)
In order to develop simple sequence repeat (SSR) markers in Italian ryegrass, we constructed a genomic library enriched for (CA)n-containing SSR repeats. A total of 1,544 clones were sequenced, of which 1,044 (67.6%) contained SSR motifs, and 395 unique clones were chosen for primer design. Three hundred and fifty-seven of these clones amplified products of the expected size in both parents of a two-way pseudo-testcross F1 mapping population, and 260 primer pairs detected genetic polymorphism in the F1 population. Genetic loci detected by a total of 218 primer pairs were assigned to locations on seven linkage groups, representing the seven chromosomes of the haploid Italian ryegrass karyotype. The SSR markers covered 887.8 cM of the female map and 795.8 cM of the male map. The average distance between two flanking SSR markers was 3.2 cM. The SSR markers developed in this study will be useful in cultivar discrimination, linkage analysis, and marker-assisted selection of Italian ryegrass and closely related species.
- Fujimori M, Hirata M, Sugita S, Inoue M, Cai H, Akiyama F, Mano Y, Komatsu T (2000) Development of a high density map in Italian ryegrass (Lolium multiflorum Lam.) using amplified fragment length polymorphism. In: 2nd international symposium on molecular breeding of forage crops, 19–24 November 2000, Lorne and Hamilton, Victoria, AustraliaGoogle Scholar
- Inoue M, Gao ZS, Hirata M, Fujimori M, Cai HW (2004) Construction of a high-density linkage map of Italian ryegrass (Lolium multiflorum Lam.) using restriction fragment length polymorphism, amplified fragment length polymorphism, and telomeric repeat associated sequence markers. Genome 47:57–65PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Jones ES, Mahoney NL, Hayward MD, Armstead IP, Jones JG, Humphreys MO, Kishida T, Yamada T, Balfourier F, Charmet G, Forster JW (2002b) An enhanced molecular marker-based genetic map of perennial ryegrass (Lolium perenne L.) reveals comparative relationships with other Poaceae genomes. Genome 45:282–295CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kosambi DD (1944) The estimation of map distance from recombination values. Ann Eugen 12:172–175Google Scholar
- Sharopova N, McMullen MD, Schultz L, Schroeder S, Sanchez-Villeda H, Gardiner J Bergstrom D, Houchins K, Melia-Hancock S, Musket T, Duru N, Polacco M, Edwards K, Ruff T, Regster JC, Brouwer C, Thompson R, Velasco R, Chin E, Lee M, Woodman-Clikeman W, Long MJ, Liscum E, Cone K, Davis G, Coe EH Jr (2002) Development and mapping of SSR markers for maize. Plant Mol Biol 48:463–481PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wang Z, Weber JL, Zhong G, Tanksley SD (1994) Survey of plant short tandem repeats. Theor Appl Genet 88:1–6Google Scholar