RECORD: a novel method for ordering loci on a genetic linkage map
A new method, REcombination Counting and ORDering (RECORD) is presented for the ordering of loci on genetic linkage maps. The method minimizes the total number of recombination events. The search algorithm is a heuristic procedure, combining elements of branch-and-bound with local reshuffling. Since the criterion we propose does not require intensive calculations, the algorithm rapidly produces an optimal ordering as well as a series of near-optimal ones. The latter provides insight into the local certainty of ordering along the map. A simulation study was performed to compare the performance of RECORD and JoinMap. RECORD is much faster and less sensitive to missing observations and scoring errors, since the optimisation criterion is less dependent on the position of the erroneous markers. In particular, RECORD performs better in regions of the map with high marker density. The implications of high marker densities on linkage map construction are discussed.
KeywordsLinkage Group Mapping Population Recombination Event Target Function Marker Order
We are very grateful to Dr. Hans Jansen and Dr. Johan van Ooijen for providing valuable comments. This work was carried out under the European Union framework 5 program grant: FAIR5-PL97-3565.
- Buntjer JB, Van Os H, Van Eck HJ (2000a) ComBin: software for ultra-dense mapping plant and animal genome conference VIII, San Diego, CA; http://www.intl-pag.org/pag/8/abstracts/pag8038.html
- Buntjer JB, Van Os H, Van Eck HJ (2000b) Construction of ultra-dense maps using novel software plant and animal genome conference VIII, San Diego, CA; http://www.intl-pag.org/pag/8/abstracts/pag8039.html
- Büschges R, Hollricher K, Panstruga R, Simons G, Wolter M, Frijters A, van Daelen R, van der Lee T, Diergaarde P, Groenendijk J, Topsch S, Vos P, Salamini F, Schulze-Lefert P (1997) The barley Mlo gene: a novel control element of plant pathogen resistance. Cell 88:695–705CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Harushima Y, Yano M, Shomura A, Sato M, Shimano T, Kuboki Y, Yamamoto T, Lin SY, Antonio BA, Parco A, Kajiya H, Huang N, Yamamoto K, Nagamura Y, Kurata N, Khush GS, Sasaki T (1998) A high-density rice genetic linkage map with 2275 markers using a single F2 population. Genetics 148:479–494PubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Isidore E, Van Os H, Andrzejewski S, Bakker J, Barrena I, Bryan G, Buntjer J, Caromel B, Van Eck HJ, Ghareeb B, Jong W de, Koert P van, Lefebvre V, Milbourne D, Ritter E, Rouppe van der Voort J, Rousselle-Bourgeois F, Vliet J van, Waugh R (2003) Towards a marker-dense meiotic map of the potato genome: lessons from linkage group I. Genetics 165:2107–2116PubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Kong A, Gudbjartsson DF, Sainz J, Jonsdottir GM, Gudjonsson SA, Richardsson B, Sigurdardottir S, Barnard J, Hallbeck B, Masson G, Shlien A, Palsson ST, Frigge ML, Thorgeirsson TE, Gulcher JR, Stefansson K (2002) A high-resolution recombination map of the human genome. Nat Genet 31:241–247PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Liu BH, Knapp SJ (1990) GMENDEL: a program for Mendelian segregation and linkage analysis of individual or multiple progeny populations using log-likelihood ratio’s. J Hered 81:407Google Scholar
- Lu YY, Liu BH (1995) A new computer package for genomic research: PGRI (Plant Genome Research Initiative), plant genome conference III, San Diego, CA; http://www.intl-pag.org/3/abstracts/201pg3.html
- Stam P, Van Ooijen JW (1995) JoinMap™ Version 2.0: software for the calculation of genetic linkage maps, CPRO-DLO, WageningenGoogle Scholar
- Steen RG, Kwitek-Black AE, Glenn C, Gullings-Handley J, Van Etten W, Atkinson OS, Appel D, Twigger S, Muir M, Mull T, Granados M, Kissebah M, Russo K, Crane R, Popp M, Peden M, Matise T, Brown DM, Lu J, Kingsmore S, Tonellato PJ, Rozen S, Slonim D, Young P, Knoblauch M, Provoost A, Ganten D, Colman SD, Rothberg J, Lander ES, Jacob HJ (1999) A high-density integrated genetic linkage and radiation hybrid map of the laboratory rat. Genome Res 9:AP1–AP8PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Van Ooijen JW, Voorrips RE (2001) JoinMap® Version 3.0, software for the calculation of genetic linkage maps. Plant research international, WageningenGoogle Scholar
- Zhong XB, Bodeau J, Fransz PF, Williamson VM, Van Kammen A, De Jong HJ, Zabel P (1999) FISH to meiotic pachytene chromosomes of tomato locates the root-knot nematode resistance gene Mi-1 and the acid phosphatase gene Aps-1 near the junction of euchromatin and pericentromeric heterochromatin of chromosome arms 6S and 6L, respectively. Theor Appl Genet 98:365–370CrossRefGoogle Scholar