Further evidence of nuclear reactions in the Pd/D lattice: emission of charged particles
- 129 Downloads
Almost two decades ago, Fleischmann and Pons reported excess enthalpy generation in the negatively polarized Pd/D-D2O system, which they attributed to nuclear reactions. In the months and years that followed, other manifestations of nuclear activities in this system were observed, viz. tritium and helium production and transmutation of elements. In this report, we present additional evidence, namely, the emission of highly energetic charged particles emitted from the Pd/D electrode when this system is placed in either an external electrostatic or magnetostatic field. The density of tracks registered by a CR-39 detector was found to be of a magnitude that provides undisputable evidence of their nuclear origin. The experiments were reproducible. A model based upon electron capture is proposed to explain the reaction products observed in the Pd/D-D2O system.
KeywordsCR-39 Pd/D Codeposition Charged particles
This work was supported by the SPAWAR Systems Center San Diego Independent Research Program.
- Landau LD, Lifshitz EM (1980) Statistical physics. Pergamon Press, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- Lipson AG, Lyakhov BF, Roussetski AS, Akimoto T, Mizuno T, Asami N, Shimada R, Miyashita S, Takahashi A (2000) Evidence for low-intensity D–D reaction as a result of exothermic deuterium desorption from Au/Pd/PdO:D heterostructure. Fus Technol 38:238–252Google Scholar
- Miles M, Bush BF, Lagowski JJ (1994) Anomalous effects involving excess power, radiation, and helium production during D2O electrolysis using palladium cathodes. Fus Technol 25:478–486Google Scholar
- Miley GH, Luo N, Castano CH, Lipson AG (2002) Transport in thin-film Pd-Ni cathodes. Bull Am Phys Soc 47:1219Google Scholar
- Mosier-Boss PA, Szpak S (1999) The Pd/nH system: transport processes and the development of thermal instabilities. Il Nuovo Cimento 121A:577–585Google Scholar
- Orear J, Rosenfeld AH, Schluter RA (1949) Nuclear physics (a course given by Enrico Fermi). The University of Chicago Press, ChicagoGoogle Scholar
- Remy H (1956) Treatise on inorganic chemistry. Elsevier, AmsterdamGoogle Scholar
- Szpak S, Mosier-Boss PA, Smith JJ (1998) On the behavior of the Pd/D system: evidence for tritium production. Fus Technol 33:38–51Google Scholar
- Violante V, Tripodi P, Di Gioacchino D, Borelli R, Bettinali L, Santoro E, Rosada A, Sarto F, Pizzuto A, McKubre M C H, Tanzella F (2002) X-ray emission during electrolysis of light water on palladium and nickel thin films. In: Proceedings of the 9th international conference on cold fusion, condensed matter nuclear science, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, Tsinghua University Press, pp 376–382Google Scholar