TGF-β1 impairs mechanosensation of human osteoblasts via HDAC6-mediated shortening and distortion of primary cilia
- First Online:
- 388 Downloads
Transforming growth factor β (TGF-β) is a critical regulator of bone density owing to its multiple effects on cell growth and differentiation. Recently, we have shown that TGF-β1 effectively blocks bone morphogenetic protein (BMP) induced maturation of osteoblasts by upregulating histone deacetylase (HDAC) activity. The current study aimed at investigating the effect of rhTGF-β1 treatment on the expression of specific HDACs and their cellular effects, e.g., microtubule structures (primary cilia) and mechanosensation. Exposure to TGF-β1 most significantly induced expression of HDAC6 both on gene and protein level. Being most abundant in the cytoplasm HDAC6 effectively deacetylates microtubule structures. Thus, TGF-β1-induced expression of HDAC6 led to deformation and shortening of primary cilia as well as to reduced numbers of ciliated cells. Primary cilia are described to sense mechanical stimuli. Thus, fluid flow was applied to the cells, which stimulated osteoblast function (AP activity and matrix mineralization). Compromised primary cilia in TGF-β1-treated cells were associated with reduced osteogenic function, despite exposure to fluid flow conditions. Chemical inhibition of HDAC6 with Tubacin restored primary cilium structure and length. These cells showed improved osteogenic function especially under fluid flow conditions. Summarizing our results, TGF-β1 impairs human osteoblast maturation partially via HDAC6-mediated distortion and/or shortening of primary cilia. This knowledge opens up new treatment options for trauma patients with chronically elevated TGF-β1-levels (e.g., diabetics), which frequently suffer from delayed fracture healing despite adequate mechanical stimulation.
Exposure to TGF-β1 induces expression of HDAC6 in human osteoblasts.
TGF-β1 exposed human osteoblasts show less and distorted primary cilia.
TGF-β1 exposed human osteoblasts are less sensitive towards mechanical stimulation.
Mechanosensation can be recovered by HDAC6 inhibitor Tubacin in human osteoblasts.
KeywordsPrimary human osteoblasts (phOBs) Transforming growth factor β (TGF-β) Histone deacetylase 6 (HDAC6) Primary cilia
- 11.Nussler AK, Wildemann B, Freude T, Litzka C, Soldo P, Friess H, Hammad S, Hengstler JG, Braun KF, Trak-Smayra V et al (2014) Chronic CCl4 intoxication causes liver and bone damage similar to the human pathology of hepatic osteodystrophy: a mouse model to analyse the liver-bone axis. Arch Toxicol 88:997–1006CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 17.Ehnert S, Zhao J, Pscherer S, Freude T, Dooley S, Kolk A, Stockle U, Nussler AK, Hube R (2012) Transforming growth factor beta1 inhibits bone morphogenic protein (BMP)-2 and BMP-7 signaling via upregulation of Ski-related novel protein N (SnoN): possible mechanism for the failure of BMP therapy? BMC Med 10:101CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 20.Maroni P, Brini AT, Arrigoni E, de Girolamo L, Niada S, Matteucci E, Bendinelli P, Desiderio MA (2012) Chemical and genetic blockade of HDACs enhances osteogenic differentiation of human adipose tissue-derived stem cells by oppositely affecting osteogenic and adipogenic transcription factors. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 428:271–277CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 21.Saito T, Nishida K, Furumatsu T, Yoshida A, Ozawa M, Ozaki T (2013) Histone deacetylase inhibitors suppress mechanical stress-induced expression of RUNX-2 and ADAMTS-5 through the inhibition of the MAPK signaling pathway in cultured human chondrocytes. Osteoarthr Cartil 21:165–174CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 41.Sreekumar V, Aspera-Werz RH, Tendulkar G, Reumann MK, Freude T, Breitkopf-Heinlein K, Dooley S, Pscherer S, Ochs BG, Flesch I et al (2016) BMP9 a possible alternative drug for the recently withdrawn BMP7? New perspectives for (re-)implementation by personalized medicine. Arch ToxicolGoogle Scholar
- 47.Malone AMD, Anderson CT, Tummala P, Kwon RY, Johnston TR, Stearns T, Jacobs CR (2008) Primary cilia mediate mechanosensing in bone cells by a calcium-independent mechanism (vol 104, pg 13325, 2007). Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:825–825Google Scholar
- 48.Nakakura T, Asano-Hoshino A, Suzuki T, Arisawa K, Tanaka H, Sekino Y, Kiuchi Y, Kawai K, Hagiwara H (2015) The elongation of primary cilia via the acetylation of alpha-tubulin by the treatment with lithium chloride in human fibroblast KD cells. Medical Molecular Morphology 48:44–53CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 52.Xu S, De Veirman K, Evans H, Santini GC, Vande Broek I, Leleu X, De Becker A, Van Camp B, Croucher P, Vanderkerken K et al (2013a) Effect of the HDAC inhibitor vorinostat on the osteogenic differentiation of mesenchymal stem cells in vitro and bone formation in vivo. Acta Pharmacol Sin 34:699–709CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar