Highly potent analgesic activity of monoterpene-derived (2S,4aR,8R,8aR)-2-aryl-4,7-dimethyl-3,4,4a,5,8,8a-hexahydro-2H-chromene-4,8-diols
- 171 Downloads
New chiral heterocyclic compounds with a hexahydro-2H-chromene framework were synthesized by reactions of (1R,2R,6S)-3-methyl-6-(prop-1-en-2-yl)cyclohex-3-ene-1,2-diol with aromatic aldehydes in the presence of montmorillonite clay. The analgesic activity of the compounds was studied in vivo. The majority of these compounds showed significant analgesic activity in the acetic acid-induced writhing test; the compounds containing one hydroxy and one methoxy substituents also showed analgesic activity in the hot-plate test. (2S,4aR,8R,8aR)-2-(3-Hydroxy-4-methoxyphenyl)-4,7-dimethyl-3,4,4a,5,8,8a-hexahydro-2H-chromene-4,8-diol was as effective as the diclofenac sodium reference taken in the same dose in both tests. It has low acute toxicity and is very promising for further development.
KeywordsTerpene Chromene Heterocyclic compounds Analgesic activity Acetic acid-induced writhing test Hot-plate test
Authors are grateful to the Presidium of Russian Academy of Sciences (program N 28.5), Presidium of Siberian Branch of Russian Academy of Sciences (Interdisciplinary integration Project No. 54), and Russian Foundation for Basic Research (Grant No. 13-03-00206a) for the financial support.
- Ardashov OV, Pavlova AV, Il’ina IV, Morozova EA, Korchagina DV, Karpova EV, Volcho KP, Tolstikova TG, Salakhutdinov NF (2011) Highly potent activity of (1R,2R,6S)-3-methyl-6-(prop-1-en-2-yl)cyclohex-3-ene-1,2-diol in animal models of Parkinson’s disease. J Med Chem 54:3866–3874CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Eddy NB, Leimbach D (1953) Studies of anesthetics. J Pharm Exp Ther 107:385–393Google Scholar
- EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) (2002) Health effects test guidelines: OPPTS 870.1100. Acute oral toxicity. United States Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, DCGoogle Scholar
- Koster R, Anderson M, De Beer EJ (1959) Acetic acid for analgesic screening. Fed Proc 18:412–415Google Scholar
- Kurbakova S, Il’ina I, Pavlova A, Morozova E, Korchagina D, Yarovaya O, Tolstikova T, Volcho K, Salakhutdinov N (2013) Synthesis and analgesic activity of monoterpenoid derived 2-aryl-4,4,7-trimethyl-4a,5,8,8a-tetrahydro-4H-benzo[d][1,3]dioxin-8-ols. Med Chem Res. doi: 10.1007/s00044-013-0772-4 Google Scholar
- Tolstikova TG, Pavlova AV, Morozova EA, Il’ina IV, Ardashov OV, Korchagina DV, Volcho KP, Salakhutdinov NF (2011) 2-(4-Hydroxy-3-methoxyphenyl)-4,7-dimethyl-3,4,4a,5,8,8a-hexahydro-2H-chromen-4,8-diol-novel analgesic agent. Patent RU 2430100Google Scholar
- Valdeolivas S, Satta V, Pertwee RG, Fernandez-Ruiz J, Sagredo O (2012) Sativex-like combination of phytocannabinoids is neuroprotective in malonate-lesioned rats, an inflammatory model of Huntington’s disease: role of CB1 and CB2 receptors. ACS Chem Neurosci 3:400–406PubMedCentralCrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Volcho KP, Salakhutdinov NF, Barkhash VA (1999) A new way to accelerate reactions catalyzed by clays. Russ J Org Chem 35:1554–1555Google Scholar