Synthesis and antimicrobial screening of some novel chalcones and flavanones substituted with higher alkyl chains
- 323 Downloads
As a part of our program to generate some novel flavonoid frameworks substituted with higher alkyl groups as possible antimicrobial agents, we have in total synthesized twelve novel chalcones (11–16) and their corresponding flavanones (17–22) substituted with either nonyl or dodecyl chains in ring B in very good to excellent yields. The synthesized compounds have been screened for their antimicrobial potential against six bacterial and four fungal strains. The tested compounds, in general, showed significant antibacterial and comparable antifungal activities. While the chalcone (16) with a dodecyl chain showed highly promising antibacterial activity against almost all the organisms tested, the chalcone (13) with nonyl chain showed promising antifungal activity against Candida rugosa and Aspergillus niger strains.
KeywordsChalcones Flavanones Nonyl chalcones Nonyl flavanones Dodecyl chalcones Dodecyl flavanones Antibacterial activity Antifungal activity
We are highly thankful to the Director, CSIR-IICT, Hyderabad, India for support and encouragement.
- Clinical And Laboratory Standards Institute (2008) Performance Standards for Antimicrobial Susceptibility Tests. Eighteen informational supplement M100-S18Google Scholar
- Fowler ZL, Shah K, Panepinto JC, Jacobs A, Koffas MAG (2011) Development of non-natural flavanones as antimicrobial agents. PLoS One 6:1–5Google Scholar
- Gordon RJ, Campbell J, Henderson DK, Henry DCR, Swart RM, Tasker PA, White FJ, Wood JL, Yellowlees LJ (2008) Polyacidic multiloading metal extractants. Chem Commun 4801–4803Google Scholar
- Linday ME (1962) Practical introduction to microbiology. E and F.N. Spon Ltd., London 177Google Scholar
- Mandge S, Singh HP, Gupta SD, Moorthy NSHN (2007) Synthesis and characterisation of some chalcone derivatives. Tren Appl Sci Res 2:5256Google Scholar