Synthesis, structure, anticancer, and antioxidant activity of para-xylyl linked bis-benzimidazolium salts and respective dinuclear Ag(I) N-heterocyclic carbene complexes (Part-II)
- 690 Downloads
The article describes synthesis, characterization (NMR, FT-IR, microanalysis, X-ray crystallography), in vitro anticancer, and antioxidant activity of para-xylyl linked bis-benzimidazolium salts and respective dinuclear Ag–NHC complexes. All the compounds were tested for their cytotoxicity against human colorectal cancer cells (HCT 116) and DPPH antioxidant evaluation. According to cell viability measurements using MTT assay, all the tested compounds showed dose-dependent cytotoxic activity against HCT 116 cells. The tested compounds demonstrated significant activity with IC50 values range 0.29–3.30 μM for HCT 116 and % age inhibition 6.37–21.00 for DPPH antioxidant study. 5-Fluorouracil was used as standard drug (IC50 19.2 μM for HCT 116) whereas for DPPH analysis, Gallic acid was used as positive control (% age inhibition 77.68). All the compounds showed potential anticancer activity against human colorectal cancer whereas antioxidant activity was not significant. We found that as the size of N-alkyl substitution on benzimidazolium salt increases its cytotoxicity against cancer decreases whereas a reverse occurs in case of respective complexes.
KeywordsBenzimidazole Benzimidazolium salts N-Heterocyclic carbenes (NHCs) Ag–NHC complexes Human colon cancer (HCT 116) Antioxidant
RAH thanks Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM) for the Research University (RU) Grants (1001/PKIMIA/811157) and (1001/PKIMIA/823082). MAI is grateful to (IPS) USM for financial support [fellowship: USM.IPS/JWT/1/19 (JLD 6): P-KD0030/11(R)] and funds [P-KM0018/10(R)-308/AIPS/415401] for a research attachment (Aug. 2011–Nov. 2011) to University of Western Australia (UWA), Perth, Australia.
- Babizhayev M, Courbebaisse Y, Nicolay J-F, Semiletov Y (1998) Design and biological activity of imidazole-containing peptidomimetics with a broad-spectrum antioxidant activity. Lett Pept Sci 5(2–3):163–169Google Scholar
- Graham C (2005) The role of silver in wound healing. Br J Nutr 14(19):S22Google Scholar
- Haque RA, Iqbal MA (2012a) Synthesis and characterization of ortho-xylyl linked bis-benzimidazolium salts. Asian J Chem 24(6):2625–2628Google Scholar
- Haque RA, Iqbal MA (2012b) Synthesis and characterization of ortho-xylyl linked bis-benzimidazolium salts (Part-II). Asian J Chem 25(4):3049–3054Google Scholar
- Haque RA, Ghdhayeb MZ, Budagumpi S, Salman AW, Khadeer Ahamed MB, Majid AMSA (2012a) Non-symmetrically substituted N-heterocyclic carbene–Ag(I) complexes of benzimidazol-2-ylidenes: synthesis, crystal structures, anticancer activity and transmetallation studies. Inorg Chim Acta 392:61–72CrossRefGoogle Scholar