Syntheses and evaluation of 2,5-disubstituted 4-thiazolidinone analogues as antimicrobial agents
- 305 Downloads
Two novel series of 4-thiazolidinone derivatives, bearing 2-nitrophenyl imino and 4-nitrophenyl imino groups at position-2 and substituted arylidene groups at position-5, have been synthesized and evaluated for antimicrobial activity against four bacterial and one fungal strain. The success of the synthesis of compounds was confirmed on the basis of spectral analysis. All the newly synthesized compounds were obtained in high yields and exhibited good antibacterial activity; however, the antifungal potential was limited to a few agents.
Keywords4-Thiazolidinones Arylidene Spectral analysis Antimicrobial
The authors are thankful to Central Drug Research Institute, Lucknow, India for the library facility and spectral characterization.
- Indian Pharmacopoeia (1996) Biological Assay, Govt. of India, Delhi 2:A100–A102Google Scholar
- Chavan AA, Rai NR (2007) Synthesis and antimicrobial screening of 5-arylidene-2-imino-4-thiazolidinones. Arkivoc xvi:148–155Google Scholar
- Choudhari BR, Shinde DB, Shingare MS (1995) Synthesis of some 2-imino-N-(6′- substituted benzothio-2′-yl)-4- thiazolidinones and their bis derivatives as antibacterial agents. Asian J Chem. 7:832–836Google Scholar
- Ispida T, In Y, Inoue M, Tanaka C, Hamanaka N (1990) Conformation of (Z)-3-carboxymethyl-[(2E)-2-methyl-3-phenylpropenylidene]rhodanine (epalrestat), a potent aldose reductase inhibitor: X-ray crystallographic, energy calculational, and nuclear magnetic resonance studies. J Chem Soc Perkin Trans. 2:1085–1091Google Scholar
- Ottana R, Maccari R, Ciurleo R, Vigorita MG, Panico AM, Caedile V, Garufi F, Ronsisvalle S (2007) Synthesis and in vitro evaluation of 5-arylidene-3-hydroxyalkyl-2-phenylimino-4-thiazolidinones with antidegenerative activity on human chondrocyte cultures. Bioorg Med Chem. 15:7618–7625PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sattigeri VJ, Soni A, Singhal S, Khan S, Pandya M, Bhateja P, Mathur T, Rattan A, Khanna JM, Mehta A (2005) Synthesis and antimicrobial activity of novel thiazolidinones. Arkivoc ii:46–59Google Scholar
- Sharma RC, Kumar D (2000) Synthesis of some new thiazolidin-4-ones as possible antimicrobial agents. J Indian Chem Soc. 77:492–493Google Scholar
- Vicini P, Geronikaki AA, Incerti M, Zani F, Dearden J, Hewitt M (2008) 2-Heteroarylimino-5-benzylidene-4-thiazolidinones analogues of 2-thiazolylimino-5-benzylidene-4-thiazolidinones with antimicrobial activity: synthesis and structure-activity relationship. Bioorg Med Chem. 16:3714–3724PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar