Topological properties of positively curved manifolds with symmetry
- First Online:
- 160 Downloads
Manifolds admitting positive sectional curvature are conjectured to have rigid homotopical structure and, in particular, comparatively small Euler charateristics. In this article, we obtain upper bounds for the Euler characteristic of a positively curved Riemannian manifold that admits a large isometric torus action. We apply our results to prove obstructions to symmetric spaces, products of manifolds, and connected sums admitting positively curved metrics with symmetry.
Mathematics Subject ClassificationPrimary 53C20 Secondary 57N65
Keywords and phrasesPositive curvature Symmetry Euler characteristic Betti numbers Hopf conjecture Elliptic genus Symmetric spaces
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- AMA09.M. Amann. Positive Quaternionic Kähler Manifolds. PhD thesis, WWU Münster, (2009).Google Scholar
- BER66.Berger M.: Trois remarques sur les variétés riemanniennes à à courbure positive. C. R. Math. Acad. Sci. Paris, 263, A76–A78 (1966)Google Scholar
- BRE72.G. Bredon. Introduction to Compact Transformation Groups. Academic Press (1972).Google Scholar
- GRO02.K. Grove. Geometry of, and via, symmetries. In Conformal, Riemannian and Lagrangian geometry (Knoxville, TN, 2000), vol. 27 of Univ. Lecture Ser. Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, RI (2002), pp. 31–53Google Scholar
- GRO09..K. Grove. Developments around positive sectional curvature. Surveys in Differential Geometry, Vol. XIII. Geometry, analysis, and algebraic geometry: Forty years of the Journal of Differential Geometry (2009), pp. 117–133.Google Scholar
- KEN00.L. Kennard. Positively curved Riemannian metrics with logarithmic symmetry rank bounds. Comment. Math. Helv., (to appear), arXiv:1209.4627v1.
- PET00.P. Petersen and F. Wilhelm. An exotic sphere with positive curvature. preprint, arXiv:0805.0812v3.
- WEI00.N. Weisskopf. Positive curvature and the elliptic genus. preprint, arXiv:1305.5175v1.
- WI07.B. Wilking. Nonnegatively and Positively Curved Manifolds. Surveys in Differential Geometry, Vol. XI. Metric and Comparison Geometry, (2007) pp. 25–62.Google Scholar
- ZIL07.W. Ziller. Examples of Riemannian manifolds with non-negative sectional curvature. Surveys in Differential Geometry, Vol. XI. Metric and Comparison Geometry (2007), pp. 63–102.Google Scholar