E-cigarette use among Serbian adults: prevalence and user characteristics
- 335 Downloads
The objective was to report the prevalence and characteristics of electronic cigarette (e-cigarette) users in order to inform an appropriate response to this emerging challenge in tobacco control.
Data were drawn from a cross-sectional survey conducted in 2014 that used computer-assisted interviewing in a representative sample of 5385 Serbian adults age 18–64 years.
Lifetime e-cigarette use and current use was reported by 9.6 and 2 % of adults, respectively. Younger adults had a higher prevalence of both lifetime and current use. Females were more likely to be current e-cigarette users than males. The majority of ever and current e-cigarette users were current or past cigarette smokers, but lifetime use was reported by non-smokers as well.
Electronic cigarettes are popular in Serbia; one in ten adults had tried them at least once. Because females and young adults were more likely to use e-cigarettes, a targeted response in these specific groups is needed. A standardised methodology for monitoring e-cigarette use should be established and surveys exploring motives for and attitudes towards e-cigarettes use should be conducted.
KeywordsElectronic cigarette E-cigarette Prevalence Socio-demographic correlates
The authors acknowledge Mr Harald Oechsler, researcher at the Centre for Interdisciplinary Addiction Research, University of Hamburg (ZIS) and Ms Minja Milovanovic, research psychologist at the Perinatal HIV research Unit, Faculty of Health Science in the University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa, for proof reading the manuscript. Data used for the analysis are from the National Survey on Lifestyles of Citizens of Serbia in 2014. The authors acknowledge the Institute of Public Health of Serbia which carried out the survey with the support of the European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction (EMCDDA)—within its European Union financed IPA project 2011/280 - 057 “Preparation of IPA Beneficiaries for their participation with the EMCDDA” and the Twinning project SR 10 IB JH 02 “Implementation of Strategy to Fight Against Drugs (supply and demand reduction components)”. This publication was supported by institutional support program of Charles University in Prague No. PRVOUK-P03/LF1/9 and the project “National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH-CZ) “Grant Number CZ.1.05/2.1.00/03.0078, and the European Regional Development Fund.
- Adkison SE, O’Connor RJ, Bansal-Travers M, Hyland A, Borland R, Yong HH, Cummings KM, McNeill A, Thrasher JF, Hammond D, Fong GT (2013) Electronic nicotine delivery systems: international tobacco control four-country survey. Am J Prev Med 44(3):207–215. doi: 10.1016/j.amepre.2012.10.018 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- ASH (2015) Use of electronic cigarettes (vapourisers) among adults in Great Britain. http://www.ash.org.uk/files/documents/ASH_891.pdf. Accessed 26 Nov 2015
- Bunnell R, Agaku I, Arrazola RA, Apelberg BJ, Caraballo RS, Corey CG, Coleman BN, Dube SR, Kin BA (2015) Intentions to smoke cigarettes among never smoking US middle and high school electronic cigarette users: national youth tobacco survey, 2011–2013. Nicotine Tob Res 17(2):228–235. doi: 10.1093/ntr/ntu166 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Czoli CD, Hammond D, White CM (2014) Electronic cigarettes in Canada: prevalence of use and perceptions. Can J Public Health 105(2):97–102Google Scholar
- EMCDDA (2002) Handbook for surveys on drug use among general population. http://www.emcdda.europa.eu/attachements.cfm/att_58103_EN_Handbook%20for%20surveys%20on%20drug%20use%20among%20the%20general%20population%20-%202002.pdf. Accessed 1 Oct 2015
- Hadwiger ME, Trehy ML, Ye W, Moore T, Aligire J, Westenbergen B (2010) Identification of amino-tadalafil and rimonabant in electronic cigarette products using high pressure liquid chromatography with diode array and tandem mass spectrometric detection. J Chromatogr A 1217(48):7547–7555. doi: 10.1016/j.chroma.2010.10.018 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Institute of Public Health of Serbia (2014). Results of the national health survey of the Republic of Serbia 2013. http://www.batut.org.rs/download/publikacije/2013SerbiaHealthSurvey.pdf. Accessed 2 Oct 2015
- Kilibarda B, Mravcik V, Sieroslawski J, Gudelj Rakic J, Martens MS (2014). National survey on life styles of citizens in Serbia 2014—substance use and gambling. Institute of Public Health of Serbia. http://www.batut.org.rs/download/publikacije/Izvestaj%20engleski%20web.pdf. Accessed 2 Oct 2015
- Krstev S (2014). Global Youth Tobacco Survey in Serbia 2013. Institute of Public Health of Serbia. http://www.batut.org.rs/download/publikacije/2014gytsSerbiaReport.pdf. Accessed 2 Oct 2015
- McMillen R, Maduka J and Winickoff J (2012). Use of emerging tobacco products in the United States. J Environ Public Healthvol. 2012, Article ID 989474. doi: 10.1155/2012/989474
- Official Gazette of the Republic of Serbia No 30/2010 (2015) Law on protection of citizens of exposure to tobacco smoke. http://data.euro.who.int/tobacco/Sites/Legislation.aspx?legislatureID=157. Accessed 10 Oct 2015
- Official Gazette of the Republic of Serbia No 92/2011 (2015) Law on the health safety of objects of common use. http://www.paragraf.rs/propisi/zakon_o_zdravstvenoj_ispravnosti_predmeta_opste_upotrebe.html. Accessed 2 Oct 2015
- Official Gazette of the Republic of Serbia, No. 101/05, 90/07, 95/10, 36/11, 93/12, 8/13 и 108/13 (2015) Tobacco law. http://duvan.gov.rs/en/documents/regulations/law_on_tobacco. Accessed 10 October 2015
- Official Journal of the European Union (2014). Directive 2014/40/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council. http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=OJ:L:2014:127:FULL&from=EN. Accessed 2 Oct 2015
- Royal College of Physicians. (2014).What you need to know about electronic cigarettes. https://www.rcplondon.ac.uk/commentary/what-you-need-know-about-electronic-cigarettes. Accessed 2 Oct 2015
- Special Eurobarometer 385 (2012). Attitudes of Europeans towards tobacco. European Union. http://ec.europa.eu/health/tobacco/docs/eurobaro_attitudes_towards_tobacco_2012_en.pdf. Accessed 2 Oct 2015
- Special Eurobarometer 429 (2015). Attitudes of Europeans towards tobacco and electronic cigarettes. European Union. http://ec.europa.eu/public_opinion/archives/ebs/ebs_429_en.pdf. Accessed 2 Oct 2015
- Vardavas, CI, Fillipidis F, Agaku IT (2014) Determinants and prevalence of e-cigarette use throughout the European Union: a secondary analysis of 26 566 youth and adults from 27 countries. Tob Control tobaccocontrol-2013-051394, Published Online. doi: 10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2013-051394
- West R, Hajek P, Mcneill A. (2014). Electronic cigarettes: what we know so far. A report to UK all party parliamentary groupsGoogle Scholar
- WHO Study Group on Tobacco Product Regulation (2014). Report on e-cigarettes to WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control. http://apps.who.int/gb/fctc/PDF/cop6/FCTC_COP6_10-en.pdf?ua=1. Accessed 2 Oct 2015