Factors influencing publication of scientific articles derived from masters theses in public health
To evaluate theses of a Masters program in Public Health (MPH), in terms of the students’ and theses’ characteristics that influence publication of the thesis as a scientific article.
Longitudinal study of students who successfully completed the MPH at Universitat Pompeu Fabra and Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (Spain) from 2006 to 2010. Participants completed an electronic survey and additional data were gathered from university files.
162 students participated in the study (83 % response rate). 60.5 % had already published an article derived from their thesis at the time of the study or were in process of publishing it. The likelihood of publishing in a peer-reviewed journal was greater among women (aRR = 1.41), among those who had a bachelor’s degree in sciences other than health (aRR = 1.40), had completed the MPH on time (aRR = 2.10), had enrolled in a doctoral program after the MPH (aRR = 1.44) or had a masters thesis score of ≥7 (aRR = 1.61).
The majority of MPH students published their thesis in a peer-reviewed journal. The strongest predictors of successful publication were related to academic performance.
KeywordsPublic health Education Publication Postgraduate students Masters theses
- European Union (1997) Convention on the recognition of qualifications concerning higher education in the European region. http://conventions.coe.int/Treaty/EN/Treaties/Html/165.htm. Accessed 26 Sep 2013
- European Union (2003) Bologna process—European Higher Education Area web. (http://www.ehea.info/). Accessed 23 Sep 2013
- Gobierno de España (1999) Ley Orgánica 15/1999, de 13 de diciembre, de protección de datos de carácter personal. https://www.boe.es/boe/dias/1999/12/14/pdfs/A43088-43099.pdf. Accessed 12 Dec 2013
- Ministerio de Educación y Ciencia. Gobierno de España (2007) Real Decreto 1393/2007, de 29 de octubre, por el que se establece la ordenación de las enseñanzas universitarias oficiales. http://www.mecd.gob.es/educacion-mecd/areas-educacion/universidades/educacion-superior-universitaria/organizacion-ensenanza-universitaria.html. Accessed 23 Sep 2013
- Stern J, Simes R (1997) Publication bias: evidence of delayed publication in a cohort study of clinical research projects. BMJ 39:1–16Google Scholar
- Tobar F, Romano Yalour M (2002) Las tesis en las maestrías de salud pública en Argentina. www.federicotobar.com.ar/nf_pdf3/Las_tesis%20_salud.pdf. Accessed 3 Oct 2013
- Universitat Pompeu Fabra and UniversitatAutònoma de Barcelona (2012) Plan de estudios del master oficial en salud pública. http://www.upf.edu/postgraubiomed/es/salut/presentacio/. Accessed 23 Sep 2013
- World Health Organization (2006) World Health Report 2006: working together for health. www.who.int/whr/2006/. Accessed 23 Sep 2013