Results of the Global Youth Tobacco Survey and implementation of WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control in former Soviet Union countries
- First Online:
We used data from the Global Youth Tobacco Survey (GYTS) to monitor articles of the World Health Organization Framework Convention on Tobacco Control in Former Soviet Union (FSU) countries.
The GYTS is a school-based survey, which uses a two-stage sample design to produce representative, independent, cross-sectional estimates. The GYTS was conducted in 10 out of 12 FSU countries from 1999 to 2008.
The prevalence of ever smoking and current smoking, smoking initiation, and exposure to second-hand smoking decreased over time. Overall, willingness to stop smoking, supporting smoking bans, and receiving information about the dangers of smoking increased over time.
Overall, our study shows that FSU countries had positive changes in tobacco-use prevalence and perception among youth over time. Our findings should be used as baseline measures for future tobacco-control interventions aimed at reducing tobacco use among youth. Moreover, our results call for the enforcement of restricting advertising for tobacco products.
KeywordsTobacco Prevalence Youth Policy FSU
- Analytical and Information Center, Ministry of Health of the Republic of Uzbekistan [Uzbekistan], State Department of Statistics, Ministry of Macroeconomics and Statistics [Uzbekistan], and ORC Macro (2004) Uzbekistan Health Examination Survey 2002 Calverton. Analytical and Information Center, State Department of Statistics, and ORC Macro, MarylandGoogle Scholar
- Baška T, Warren CW, Baškova M, Jones NR (2008) Prevalence of youth cigarette smoking and selected social factors in 25 European countries: findings from the Global Youth Tobacco Survey. Int J Public Health 54:439–445Google Scholar
- Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids. Country details for Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Russia, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan and Ukraine. http://www.tobaccocontrollaws.org/. Accessed 22 Feb 2012
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Global Tobacco Surveillance Data (2006). http://apps.nccd.cdc.gov/gtssdata/Ancillary/DataReports.aspx?CAID=1. Accessed 20 Jan 2012
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Global Youth Tobacco Surveillance, 2000–2007 (2008) MMWR 57 (No. SS-1)Google Scholar
- Framework Convention Alliance for Tobacco Control (2006) Tobacco advertising and promotion factsheet. Framework Convention Alliance for Tobacco Control, GenevaGoogle Scholar
- Global Adult Tobacco Survey (GATS). Russian Federation 2009. http://www.who.int/tobacco/surveillance/en_tfi_gats_russian_countryreport.pdf. Accessed 20 Jan 2012
- Global Adult Tobacco Survey (GATS). Ukraine (2010). http://www.who.int/tobacco/surveillance/en_tfi_gats_ukraine_report_2010.pdf. Accessed 20 Jan 2012
- International Agency for Research on Cancer (2007) Smokeless tobacco and tobacco-related nitrosamines. IARC monogrraphs on the evaluation of carcinogenic risks to humans, vol 89, pp 421–592. http://monographs.iarc.fr/ENG/recentpub/mono89.pdf. Accessed 20 Jan 2012
- Lando HA, Hipple BJ, Muramoto M, Klein J, Prokhorov AV, Ossip DR et al (2010) Tobacco is a global pediatric concern. Bull World Health Org 88Google Scholar
- Pomerleau J, Gilmore A, McKee M et al (2004) Determinants of smoking in eight countries of the former Soviet Union: results from the living conditions. Life Styles Health Study Addict 99:1577–1585Google Scholar
- Usmanova G, Neumark Y, Baras M, McKee M (2011) Patterns of tobacco use in Uzbekistan. Eur J Publ Health (2011). doi:10.1093/eurpub/ckr125
- Warren CW, Jones NR, Peruga A, Chauvin J, Baptiste JP, Costa de Silva V, Awa F, Tsouros A, Rahman K, Fishburn B, Bettcher DW, Asma A (2008) Global Youth Tobacco Surveillance, 2000–2007. Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 57(SS01):1–21Google Scholar
- WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control. http://www.who.int/fctc/implementation/news/news_ukraine/en/index.html.. Accessed 25 March 2012
- World Health Organization (2003) WHO framework convention on tobacco control. World Health Organization, Geneva. http://www.who.int/fctc/publications/en/. Accessed 17 January 2012
- World Health Organization (2011) Report on the global tobacco epidemic, 2011: warning about the dangers of tobacco. World Health Organization, Geneva. http://www.who.int/tobacco/global_report/2011/en/index.html. Accessed 17 Jan 2012
- World Health Organization (2012) WHO global report: mortality attributable to tobacco. World Health Organization, Geneva. http://www.who.int/tobacco/publications/surveillance/rep_mortality_attributable_tobacco/en/index.html. Accessed 10 Feb 2012