Pandemic and seasonal vaccine coverage and effectiveness during the 2009–2010 pandemic influenza in an Italian adult population
- 137 Downloads
To evaluate the response to pandemic vaccination and seasonal and pandemic vaccine effectiveness (VE) in an Italian adult population, during the 2009–2010 influenza season.
Data were recorded by interviewing 19,275 subjects (≥35 years), randomly recruited from the general population of the Moli-sani project. Events [influenza-like illness (ILI), hospitalization and death], which had occurred between 1 November 2009 and 31 January 2010 were considered. VE was analyzed by multivariable Poisson regression analysis.
Pandemic vaccine coverage was very low (2.4%) in subjects at high-flu risk, aged 35–65 years (N = 8,048); there was no significant preventive effect of vaccine against ILI.
Seasonal vaccine coverage was 26.6% in the whole population (63% in elderly and 21.9% in middle-aged subjects at high-flu risk). There was a higher risk to develop ILI in middle-age [VE: −17% (95% CI: −35,−1)] or at high flu-risk [VE: −17% (95% CI: −39, 2)] vaccinated groups.
Coverage of pandemic vaccine was very low in a Southern Italy population, with no protective effect against ILI.
KeywordsPandemic vaccine Seasonal vaccine Vaccine coverage Vaccine effectiveness Italian adults
This study was funded by a European Vaccine Manufacturers grant through the Epiconcept society. The funders had no role in study design, data collection and analysis, decision to publish, or preparation of the manuscript.
- Ainsworth BE, Haskell WL, Whitt MC, Irwin ML, Swartz AM, Strath SJ et al (2000) Compendium of physical activities: an update of activity codes and MET intensities. Med Sci Sports Exerc (32 Suppl):S498–S504Google Scholar
- Flunews. Bollettino epidemiologico settimanale (2010) Centro Nazionale di Epidemiologia, Sorveglianza e Promozione della Salute. Istituto Superiore di Sanità. Rome, Italy. http://www.epicentro.iss.it/focus/h1n1/archivioflunews.asp Accessed 18 May 2011
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) (2009a) Serum cross-reactive antibody response to a novel influenza A (H1N1) virus after vaccination with seasonal influenza vaccine. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 58(19):521–524Google Scholar
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) (2009b) Swine influenza A (H1N1) infection in two children—Southern California, March–April 2009. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 58(15):400–402Google Scholar
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) (2009c) Use of Influenza A (H1N1) 2009 Monovalent Vaccine. Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP), 2009. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 58 (RR-10):1–7Google Scholar
- Chan M (2009) Statement to the press by WHO Director-General Dr Margaret Chan. World now at the start of 2009 influenza pandemic. WHO, 2009. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/statements/2009/h1n1 pandemic phase6 20090611/en/index.html
- Chobanian AV, Bakris GL, Black HR, Cushman WC, Green LA, Izzo JL Jr et al (2003) Joint National Committee on prevention, detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood pressure. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute; National High Blood Pressure Education Program Coordinating Committee. The Seventh Report of the Joint National Committee on prevention, detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood pressure. Hypertension 42:1206–1252PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Costanzo S, Di Castelnuovo A, Zito F, Krogh V, Siani A, Arnout J, European Collaborative Group of the IMMIDIET project et al (2008) Prevalence, awareness, treatment and control of hypertension in healthy unrelated male-female pairs of European regions: the dietary habit profile in European communities with different risk of myocardial infarction–the impact of migration as a model ofgene-environment interaction project. J Hypertens 26(12):2303–2311PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Di Castelnuovo A, Costanzo S, Persichillo M, Olivieri M, D Curtis A, Zito F et al (2011) Distribution of short and lifetime risks for cardiovascular disease in Italians. Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil [Epub ahead of print]Google Scholar
- European Commission (2009) Commission Decision 2009/363/EC of 30 April 2009 amending Decision 2002/253/EC laying down case definitions for reporting communicable diseases to the Community network under Decision No 2119/98/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council, OJ L 110, 1.5.2009, p 58. Available: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2009:110:0058:0059:EN:PDF. Accessed 18 May 2011
- Expert Panel on Detection Evaluation and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol In Adults (ATP-III) (2001) Executive summary of the third report of the national cholesterol education program (NCEP) expert panel on detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood cholesterol in adults (Adult Treatment Panel III). JAMA 285:2486–2497CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hardelid P, Fleming DM, McMenamin J, Andrews N, Robertson C, Sebastian Pillai P (2011) Effectiveness of pandemic and seasonal influenza vaccine in preventing pandemic influenza A(H1N1)2009 infection in England and Scotland 2009–2010. Euro Surveill 16(2)Google Scholar
- Iacoviello L, Bonanni A, Costanzo S, De Curtis A, Di Castelnuovo A, Olivieri M et al (2007) on behalf of the Moli-sani Project Investigators. The Moli-Sani Project, a randomized, prospective cohort study in the Molise region in Italy; design, rationale and objectives. Ital J Public Health 4:110–8Google Scholar
- Jefferson T, Di Pietrantonj C, Al-Ansary LA, Ferroni E, Thorning S, Thomas RE (2010) Vaccines for preventing influenza in the elderly. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2:CD004876Google Scholar
- Jiménez-García R, Rodríguez-Rieiro C, Hernández-Barrera V, Lopez de Andres A, Rivero Cuadrado A, Rodriguez Laso A et al (2011) Effectiveness of age-based strategies to increase influenza vaccination coverage among high risk subjects in Madrid (Spain). Vaccine 29(16):2840–2845PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mancia G, De Backer G, Dominiczak A, Cifkova R, Fagard R, Germano G et al (2007) Guidelines for the management of arterial hypertension: the task force for the management of arterial hypertension of the european society of hypertension (ESH) and of the european society of cardiology (ESC). J Hypertens 25:1105–1187PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ministero del lavoro, della salute e delle politiche sociali. (MLSPS) (2009) Misure urgenti in materia di profilassi vaccinale dell’influenza pandemica A(H1N1). (09A11292). Gazzetta Ufficiale della Repubblica Italiana Serie Generale n. 223 del 25-09-2009Google Scholar
- Ministero della salute (2011) Coperture vaccinali. Archivio. http://www.salute.gov.it/influenza/paginaInternaMenuInfluenza.jsp?id=679&menu=strumentieservizi. (Accessed 31 May 2011)
- Pelat C, Falchi A, Carrat F, Mosnier A, Bonmarin I, Turbelin C et al (2011) Field effectiveness of pandemic and 2009–2010 seasonal vaccines against 2009–2010 A(H1N1) Influenza: estimations from surveillance data in France. PLoS ONE 6(5):e19621. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0019621 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Puig-Barberà J, Arnedo-Pena A, Pardo-Serrano F, Tirado-Balaguer MD, Pérez-Vilar S, Silvestre–Silvestre E et al (2010) Effectiveness of seasonal 2008–2009, 2009–2010 and pandemic vaccines, to prevent influenza hospitalizations during the autumn 2009 influenza pandemic wave in Castellón, Spain. A test-negative, hospital-based, case-control study. Vaccine 28(47):7460–7467PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Rachiotis G, Mouchtouri V, Kremastinou J, Gourgoulianis K, Hadjichristodoulou C (2010) Low acceptance of vaccination against the 2009 pandemic influenza A(H1N1) among healthcare workers in Greece. Euro Surveill 15(6), pii = 19486Google Scholar
- Rizzo C, Rota MC, Bella A, Giannitelli S, De Santis S, Nacca G, et al (2010a) Response to the 2009 influenza A(H1N1) pandemic in Italy. Euro Surveill 9:15(49)Google Scholar
- Rizzo C, Bella A, Declich S, Rota MC (2010b) “Sorveglianza epidemiologica integrata della pandemia influenzale da virus A/H1N1v nella stagione 2009–2010” Rapporti e Congressi ISTISAN ottobre-dicembre 2010 (n. 4) 19° Suppl. http://www.iss.it/binary/publ/cont/dieci46web.pdf (Accessed 18 May 2011)
- Rothman KJ (2002) Epidemiology. An introduction. Oxford University Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Valenciano M, Kissling E, Cohen JM, Oroszi B, Barret AS, Rizzo C et al (2011) Estimates of pandemic influenza vaccine effectiveness in Europe, 2009–2010: results of Influenza Monitoring Vaccine Effectiveness in Europe (I-MOVE) multicentre case-control study. PLoS Med 8(1):e1000388. doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1000388 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ware JE Jr (2000) SF-36 health survey update. Spine 25:3130e9Google Scholar
- Wichmann O, Stocker P, Poggensee G, Altmann D, Walter D, Hellenbrand W et al (2010) Pandemic influenza A(H1N1) 2009 breakthrough infections and estimates of vaccine effectiveness in Germany 2009–2010. Euro Surveill 6:15(18)Google Scholar