Pseudo-beam-Forming for Direction-of-Arrival Estimation with Difference Co-array of Co-prime Array
- 124 Downloads
This paper focuses on direction finding using a co-prime array from the view of a difference co-array. According to the corresponding relationship between the correlation lag and virtual element position of the difference co-array, from the correlation matrix of the co-prime array, the desired correlation units are extracted as single-snapshot data of the virtual co-array elements of the co-prime array and are then coherently accumulated into a pseudo-beam pattern. Because the difference co-array of a co-prime array consists of a group of contiguous virtual elements and multiple non-uniform virtual elements, this paper considers pseudo-beam-forming using only contiguous virtual elements, as in existing studies, and all of the virtual elements. Compared with the existing sub-beam multiplication method, pseudo-beam-forming reduces the negative effect from grating lobes and resolves more uncorrelated sources than the number of physical elements. Moreover, application of non-uniform virtual elements improves the resolvable source number, angle resolution and noise immunity, which are analyzed quantitatively based on the proposed distribution characteristic of virtual elements. Finally, to suppress side-lobe interference caused by the non-uniform virtual elements, we introduce and evaluate three coherence weighting factors, namely coherence factor (CF), phase coherence factor (PCF) and sign coherence factor (SCF), where CF is proved to be ineffective and SCF is optimal in suppression and computation performance.
KeywordsCo-prime array Pseudo-beam-forming Difference co-array Side-lobe suppression Coherence weighting factor
The authors would like to thank the editor and anonymous reviewers for their valuable comments. This work is supported financially by the National Natural Science Foundation of China under Grants 61501062, 41574136 and 41304117 and the Program of Sichuan Education Department under Grant 15ZB0082.
- 1.K. Adhikari, J.R. Buck, K.E. Wage, Beamforming with extended co-prime sensor arrays, in 2013 IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (Canada, 2013), pp 4183–4186Google Scholar
- 2.K. Adhikari, J.R. Buck, K.E. Wage, Extending coprime sensor arrays to achieve the peak side lobe height of a full uniform linear array. EURASIP J. Adv. Signal Process. 148, 1–17 (2014)Google Scholar
- 4.E. BouDaher, F. Ahmad, M.G. Amin, Sparse reconstruction for direction-of-arrival estimation using multi-frequency co-prime arrays. EURASIP J. Adv. Signal Process. 168, 1–11 (2014)Google Scholar
- 5.E. BouDaher, Y. Jia, F. Ahmad, M.G. Amin, Direction-of-arrival estimation using multi-frequency co-prime arrays, in 22nd European Signal Processing Conference (Portugal, 2014), pp 1034–1038Google Scholar
- 10.J. Camacho, M. Parrilla, C. Fritsch, Grating-lobes reduction by application of phase coherence factors, in 2009 IEEE International Ultrasonics Symposium (Italy, 2009), pp 341–344Google Scholar
- 16.P. Pal, P.P. Vaidyannathan, Coprime sampling and the MUSIC algorithm, in 2011 Digital Signal Processing and Signal Processing Education Meeting (Sedona, AZ, 2011), pp 289–294Google Scholar