Application of Memristor-Based Controller for Loop Filter Design in Charge-Pump Phase-Locked Loops
- 680 Downloads
In this work, a monotonic increasing piecewise-linear (PWL) memristor-based proportional-integral (PI) controller is analyzed. A periodic rectangular pulse current source is used as the input signal, and the proportionality constant of the PWL memristor-based PI controller is varied according to the amount of charge that passes through the memristor. A circuit is proposed to achieve zero net-charge injection for the memristor so that the memristance of the PWL memristor can be varied in the subsequent period. The proposed PWL memristor-based PI controller can be used in the design of the loop filter for the charge-pump phase-locked loop for achieving a faster dynamical response from an unlocked state to a locked state compared to conventional fixed proportional constant PI controllers.
KeywordsMemristor Charge-pump phase-locked loop Loop filter Proportional-integral control
This work was in part supported by a research grant provided by the Hong Kong Polytechnic University, a Project Funded by the Priority Academic Program Development of Jiangsu Higher Education Institutions, the National Natural Science Foundation of China under Grant 60872123, and the Joint Fund of the National Natural Science Foundation and the Guangdong Provincial Natural Science Foundation, China, under Grant U0835001.
- 1.R.E. Best, Phase-Locked Loops Design, Simulation, and Application, 5th edn. (McGraw-Hill, New York, 2003) Google Scholar
- 3.Y.S. Choi, H.H. Choi, T.H. Kwon, An adaptive bandwidth phase locked loop with locking status indicator, in Proceedings of IEEE Electronic., Computer & Telecommunication (2005), pp. 826–829 Google Scholar
- 8.F. Gardner, Phase Lock Techniques (Wiley, New York, 1979) Google Scholar
- 14.S. Milicevic, L. MacEachern, A phase-frequency detector and a charge pump design for PLL applications, in Proceedings of IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems (2008), pp. 1532–1535 Google Scholar
- 15.Y.V. Persin, M.Di. Ventra, Experimental demonstration of associative memory with memristive. Neural Netw. arXiv:0905.2935
- 17.T. Rapinoja, K. Stadius, K. Halonen, Behavioral model based simulation methods for charge-pump PLL’s, in Proceedings of IEEE International Baltic Electronics Conference (2006), pp. 1–4 Google Scholar