Variational analysis of the coupling between a geometrically exact Cosserat rod and an elastic continuum
We formulate the static mechanical coupling of a geometrically exact Cosserat rod to a nonlinearly elastic continuum. In this setting, appropriate coupling conditions have to connect a one-dimensional model with director variables to a three-dimensional model without directors. Two alternative coupling conditions are proposed, which correspond to two different configuration trace spaces. For both, we show existence of solutions of the coupled problems, using the direct method of the calculus of variations. From the first-order optimality conditions, we also derive the corresponding conditions for the dual variables. These are then interpreted in mechanical terms.
Mathematics Subject Classification (2000)74K10 74B20 49K20
KeywordsCoupling conditions Energy minimization Cosserat rod Hyperelastic material
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Antman S.S.: Nonlinear Problems of Elasticity, volume 107 of Applied Mathematical Sciences. Springer, Berlin (1991)Google Scholar
- 7.Chouaïeb, N.: Kirchhoff’s problem of helical solutions of uniform rods and their stability properties. Ph.D. thesis, Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale Lausanne (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Ciarlet, P.G.: Mathematical Elasticity, vol. I: Three-Dimensional Elasticity. North-Holland, Amsteram (1988)Google Scholar
- 14.Kehrbaum, S.: Hamiltonian formulations of the equilibrium conditions governing elastic rods: qualitative analysis and effective properties. Ph.D. thesis, University of Maryland (1997)Google Scholar
- 16.Markou, G.: Detailed three-dimensional nonlinear hybrid simulation for the analysis of large scale reinforced concrete structures. Ph.D. thesis, National Technical University of Athens (2011)Google Scholar
- 17.Mielke A.: Hamiltonian and Lagrangian flows on center manifolds with applications to elliptic variational problems, volume 1489 of Lecture Notes in Mathematics. Springer, Berlin (1991)Google Scholar
- 19.Monaghan, D.J., Doherty, I.W., Court, D.M., Armstrong, C.G.: Coupling 1D beams to 3D bodies. In: Proceedings of 7th International Meshing Roundtable. Sandia National Laboratories (1998)Google Scholar
- 20.Neff P.: A geometrically exact Cosserat shell-model including size effects, avoiding degeneracy in the thin shell limit. Part I: Formal dimensional reduction for elastic plates and existence of minimizers for positive Cosserat couple modulus. Continuum Mech. Thermodyn. 16(6), 577–628 (2004)CrossRefMATHMathSciNetGoogle Scholar
- 22.Neff, P., Lankeit, J., Madeo, A.: On Grioli’s minimum property and its relation to Cauchy’s polar decomposition. Int. J. Eng. Sci. arXiv:1310.7826 (submitted)Google Scholar
- 24.Sander, O.: Multidimensional coupling in a human knee model. Ph.D. thesis, Freie Universität Berlin (2008)Google Scholar
- 25.Sander, O.: Coupling geometrically exact Cosserat rods and linear elastic continua. In: Proceedings of DD20 (to appear)Google Scholar