SPECTRAL UNIQUENESS OF BI-INVARIANT METRICS ON SYMPLECTIC GROUPS
- 13 Downloads
In this short note, we prove that a bi-invariant Riemannian metric on Sp(n) is uniquely determined by the spectrum of its Laplace–Beltrami operator within the class of left-invariant metrics on Sp(n). In other words, on any of these compact simple Lie groups, every left-invariant metric which is not right-invariant cannot be isospectral to a bi-invariant metric. The proof is elementary and uses a very strong spectral obstruction proved by Gordon, Schueth and Sutton.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- BDT. Bröcker, T. tom Dieck, Representations of Compact Lie Groups, Grad. Texts in Math., Vol. 98, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1995.Google Scholar
- CSJ. H. Conway, N. J. A. Sloane, Sphere Packings, Lattices and Groups, 3rd ed., Grundlehren Math. Wiss., Vol. 290, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1999.Google Scholar
- KnA. W. Knapp, Lie Groups Beyond an Introduction, Progr. Math., Vol. 140, Birkhäuser Boston, BOston, MA, 2002.Google Scholar
- La18E. A. Lauret, The smallest Laplace eigenvalue of homogeneous 3-spheres, arXiv:1801.04259 (2018).Google Scholar
- SS14B. Schmidt, C. Sutton, Detecting the moments of inertia of a molecule via its rotational spectrum, II, Preprint available at http://users.math.msu.edu/users/schmidt/ (Schmidt’s web page) (2014).
- Ta73S. Tanno, Eigenvalues of the Laplacian of Riemannian manifolds, Tǒhoku Math. J. (2) 25 (1973), no. 3, 391–403.Google Scholar