Frequency Domain Response at Pacific Coast Harbors to Major Tsunamis of 2005–2011
- 308 Downloads
Tsunamis waves caused by submarine earthquake or landslide might contain large wave energy, which could cause significant human loss and property damage locally as well as in distant region. The response of three harbors located at the Pacific coast (i.e. Crescent City Harbor, Los Angeles/Long Beach Port, and San Diego Harbor) to six well-known tsunamis events generated (both near-field and far-field) between 2005 and 2011 are examined and simulated using a hybrid finite element numerical model in frequency domain. The model incorporated the effects of wave refraction, wave diffraction, partial wave reflection from boundaries, entrance and bottom energy dissipation. It can be applied to harbor regions with arbitrary shapes and variable water depth. The computed resonant periods or modes of oscillation for three harbors are in good agreement with the energy spectral analysis of the time series of water surface elevations recorded at tide gauge stations inside three harbors during the six tsunamis events. The computed wave induced currents based on the present model are also in qualitative agreement with some of the reported eye-witness accounts absence of reliable current data. The simulated results show that each harbor responded differently and significantly amplified certain wave period(s) of incident wave trains according to the shape, topography, characteristic dimensions and water depth of the harbor basins.
KeywordsTsunamis harbor harbor resonance earthquake finite element method
The funding support from the University of Southern California Foundation for Cross-Connection Control & Hydraulic Research is greatly appreciated. The valuable suggestions by the reviewers for including the computed wave induced currents associated with the resonant modes for all three harbors studied are greatly appreciated.
- Abe, T., (1984), Baywater Response to Tsunamis, in Proceedings of the 19th Conference on Coastal Engineering, (ASCE, New York 1984) pp. 132-146.Google Scholar
- Abe, K., (1990), Spectral Characteristics of the 1983 Japan Sea Tsunami Observed in Japan, J. Tohoku Geophys., 32(2), 97-106.Google Scholar
- American Association of Port Authorities (AAPA) (2007), North American Port Container Traffic–2006, Port Industry Statistics. http://www.aapa-ports.org/Industry/content.cfm?ItemNumber=900
- Baptista, M.A., Miranda, P., and Victor, L.M. (1992), Maximum Entropy Analysis of Portuguese Tsunami Data: the Tsunamis of 28.02.1969 and 26.05.1975, Sci. Tsunami Hazards, 10(1), 9-20.Google Scholar
- Berkhoff, J.C.W., (1972), Computation of Combined Refraction-Diffraction, In Proceedings of 13th Coast. Eng. Conf., (ASCE, New York 1972) pp. 471-490.Google Scholar
- Bureau of meteorology, Australian Government (2011), History of Tsunami Events. http://www.bom.gov.au/tsunami/history/index.shtml.
- Talley, Jr. H.C. and Cloud, W.K., United States Earthquakes 1960 (U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington 1962).Google Scholar
- Dengler, L. and Uslu, B. (2011), Effects of Harbor Modification on Crescent City, California’s Tsunami Vulnerability, Pure Appl. Geophys., 168, 1175-1185Google Scholar
- Gehlken, M., Shin, T., and Bledsoe, G. (2011), Tsunami Causes Boat Damage in San Diego, National Broadcasting Company (NBC), San Diego. http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Tsunami-Shatters-Barge-in-San-Diego-Bay-117836593.html.
- Grilli, S.T., Skourup, J., and Svendsen, I.A. (1989), An Efficient Boundary Element Method for Nonlinear Water Waves, Eng. Analysis with Boundary Elements, 6(2), 97-107Google Scholar
- Hebert, H., Heinrich, P., Schindele, F., and Piatanesi, A. (2001), Far-field simulation of tsunami propagation in the Pacific Ocean: Impact on the Marquesas Island (French Polynesia), J. Geophs. Res., 106(C5), 9161-9177Google Scholar
- Kowalik, Z., Knight, W., Logan, T., and Whitmore, P., Numerical Modeling of the Indian Ocean Tsunami, In Indonesia Tsunamis, (Co-editors: Murty, T., Aswathanarayana, U., and Nirupama, N.) (Taylor and Francis, London 2007) pp. 97-122Google Scholar
- Kowalik, Z., Knight, W., Logan, T., and Whitmore, P. (2005), Numerical Modeling of the Global Tsunami: Indonesia Tsunamis of 26 December 2004, Science of Tsunami Hazards, 23(1), 40-56.Google Scholar
- Kowalik, Z., Horrillo, J., Knight, W., and Logan, T. (2007a), The Kuril Islands Tsunami of November 2006: Part I: Impact at Crescent City by Distant Scattering, J. Geophys. Res., 113, C01020, doi:10.1029/2007JC004402
- Lee, J.J. (1971), Wave-induced Oscillations in Harbors of Arbitrary Geometry, J. Fluid Mech., 45, Part 2, 375-394.Google Scholar
- Lee, J.J., Huang, Z., Kou, Z., and Xing, X.Y., The Effect of Tide Level on the Tsunami Response of Coastal Harbors, Accepted for presentation at ASCE 33th International Conference on Coastal Engineering to be held in Santander, Spain July 1-6, 2012.Google Scholar
- Lee, J.J., Lai, C.P., and Li, Y., Application of Computer Modeling for Harbor Resonance Studies of Long Beach & Los Angeles Harbor Basins, In Proceedings of 26th International Conference on Coastal Engineering, (ASCE, Denmark 1998) pp. 1196-1209.Google Scholar
- Lee, J.J. and Xing, X.Y., Computer Modeling for Harbor Planning and Design, In Handbook of Coastal and Ocean Engineering (Edited by Y.C. Kim), (World Scientific Publ., Singapore 2010) pp. 695-722.Google Scholar
- Lee, J.J., Xing, X.Y., and Magoon, O., Uncovering the Basin Resonance at Crescent City Harbor Region, In Proceedings of 31st International Conference on Coastal Engineering, 2, (ed. Smith, J.M.) (World Scientific Publ., United States 2008) pp. 1210-1222.Google Scholar
- Lee, J.J. and Raichlen, F. (1972), Oscillations in Harbors with Connected Basins, J. Waterways, Ports, Coastal and Ocean Engineering Division, ASCE, 98(WW3), 311-332.Google Scholar
- Lepelletier, T.G. and Raichlen, F. (1987), Harbor Oscillations Induced by Non-linear Transient Long Waves, J. Waterw., Port, Coast. and Ocean Engineering, ASCE, 113(4), 381-400Google Scholar
- Loomis, H.G. (1966), Spectral Analysis of Tsunami Records from the Stations in the Hawaii Islands, Bull. Seismol. Soc. Am., 56(3), 697-713Google Scholar
- MacInnes, B.T., Bourgeois, J., Pinegina, T.K., Kravchunovskays, E. (2009), Tsunami Geomorphology: Erosion and Deposition from the 15 November 2006 Kuril Island Tsunami, Geology, 37, 995-998.Google Scholar
- Magoon, O.T. (1965), Structural Damage by Tsunamis, Coastal Engineering, Santa Barbara Specialty Conference, ASCE, 35-68Google Scholar
- Miller, G.R., Munk, W.H., and Snodgrass, F.E. (1962), Long-period Waves over California’s Continental Borderland, II. Tsunamis, J. Mar. Res., 20(1), 31-41.Google Scholar
- National Geophysical Data Center (NGDC) (2009), NOAA/WDC, Historical Tsunami Data Base, Boulder, Colorado. http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/hazard/recenttsunamis.shtml.
- National Geophysical Data Center (NGDC) (2011), NOAA, Recent and Significant Tsunami Events. http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/hazard/tsu_db.shtml.
- National Weather Service (NWS) (2011), NOAA, Western Region Newsletter, April 2011. http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/wrh/staffnotes/WR_Newsletter_April_2011_Public.pdf.
- Omori, F. (1902), On Tsunamis around Japan, (in Japanese), Rep. Imp. Earthquake Comm., 34, 5-79.Google Scholar
- Rabinovich, A.B. (1997), Spectral Analysis of Tsunami Waves: Separation of Source and Topography Effects, J. Geophys. Res., 102(C6), 12,663-12,676.Google Scholar
- Rabinovich, A.B., Seiches and Harbor Oscillations, in Handbook of Coastal and Ocean Engineering (ed. Kim, Y.C.), Chapter 9, (World Scientific Publ., Singapore 2010) pp. 193-236.Google Scholar
- Rabinovich, A.B., Monserrat, S. and Fain, I.V. (1999), Numerical Modeling of Extreme Seiche Oscillationin the Region of the Balearic Islands, Oceanology, Vol. 39, No. 1, pp. 12-19.Google Scholar
- Raichlen, F., Long Period Oscillation in Basin of Arbitrary Shape, In Proceeding of Santa Barbara Specialty Conference, Chapter 7, Coastal Engineering, (ASCE, 1965) pp. 115-145.Google Scholar
- Raichlen, F. and Lee, J.J., Oscillation of Bays, Harbors, and Lakes, Chapter 13, In Handbook of Coastal and Ocean Engineering (ed. Herbich, J.B), (Gulf Publishing Company, United States 1992) pp. 1073-1113.Google Scholar
- Sanchez, A.J., and Farreras, S.F., Maximum Entropy Spectral Analysis of Tsunamis along the Mexican Coast, 1957-1979, In Tsunamis–Their Science and Engineering (eds. Iida, K. and Iwasaki, T.) (Terra Sci., Tokyo 1983) pp.147-159.Google Scholar
- Soloviev, S.L., and Kulikov, E.A. (1987), Spectral Analysis of Mareograms from Urup Tsunamis of 13 and 20 October 1963, Sci, Tsunami Hazards, 5(1), 57-63Google Scholar
- Takahasi, R., and Aida, I. (1961), Studies on the Spectrum of Tsunamis, (in Japanese) Bull. Earthquake Res. Inst., Univ. Tokyo, 39, 523-535.Google Scholar
- Takahasi, R., and Aida, I. (1963), Spectra of Several Tsunamis Observed on the Coast of Japan, (in Japanese) Bull. Earthquake Res. Inst., Univ. Tokyo, 41, 299-314.Google Scholar
- Titov, V., Rabinovich, A.B., Mofjeld, H.O., Thomoson, R.E., and Gonzales, F.I. (2005), The Global Reach of the 26 December 2004 Sumatra Tsunami, Science, 309, 2045-2048.Google Scholar
- U.S. Department of Commerce, NOAA, National Weather Service, Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission, and International Tsunamis Information Center (2001a), Tsunami: the Great Waves. http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/brochures/tsunami.htm.
- U.S. Dept. of Commerce (2001b), Tsunami: the Great Waves, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Weather Service, Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission, International Tsunamis Information Center.Google Scholar
- Van Dorn, W.G. (1984), Some Tsunami Characteristics Deducible from Tide Records, J. Phys. Oceanogr., 14, 353-363.Google Scholar
- Watanabe, H. (1964), Studies of Tsunamis on the Sanriku Coast of Northeastern Honshu in Japan, Geophys. Mag., 32(1), 120-127.Google Scholar
- Wilson, R. I., Dengler, L.A., Legg M. R.,Long K., Miller, K.M. (2010) The 2010 Chilean Tsunami on the California Coastline, Seism. Res. Lett, 81 (3): 545-546. Also http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2010/1152/presentations/of2010-1152_poster_e_wilson-chile.pdf.
- Wilson, R.I., Admire, A.R., Borrero, J.C., Dengler, L.A., Legg, M.R., Lynett, P.J., McCrink, T.P., Miller, K.M., Ritchie, A., Sterling, K. and Whitmore, P.M. (2012) Observations and Impacts from 2010 Chilean and 2011 Japanese Tsunamis in California (USA) PAAG-713R1.Google Scholar
- Xing, X.Y., J.J. Lee, and Raichlen, F., Comparison of Computed Basin Response at San Pedro Bay with Long Period Wave Records, In Proceedings of 31st International Conference on Coastal Engineering, 2, (ed. Smith, J.M.) (World Scientific Publ., United States 2008) pp. 1223-1235.Google Scholar
- Yaroshenja, R.A. (1974), A Study on Natural Oscillations in the Sea Level of Kurile and Kamchatka Inlets, In Tsunami Research Symposium, Bull. R. Soc. N. Z., 15, 39-49.Google Scholar