Response to “Concerns regarding Baksa et al., Cell Molec. Life Sci., 2019.” by Edgar Garcia-Rill and Francisco J. Urbano (CMLS-D-18-0156R1)
- 36 Downloads
“The legacy we leave in science needs to be beyond questions.” Agreeing with this sentence of Dr. Garcia-Rill and Dr. Urbano, I would like to address the points they raised in their comments based on their own papers and personal opinions. In my response I would like to demonstrate that an independent research group has the right to adapt methods to their research questions if it is well underlined with scientific arguments and serves the goal of the project.
The laboratory of Dr. Garcia-Rill published numerous papers on the gamma-band activity of pedunculopontine neurons. They perform research on “…the most important discovery in the reticular activating system in the last 10 years, the manifestation of gamma-band activity in cells of the reticular activating system (RAS), especially in the pedunculopontine nucleus…” . However, based on several local field potential (LFP) studies from humans and in vivo recordings on rodents, other frequencies were also identified....
- 5.Fraix V, Bastin J, David O, Goetz L, Ferraye M, Benabid AL, Chabardes S, Pollak P, Debû B (2013) Pedunculopontine nucleus area oscillations during stance, stepping and freezing in Parkinson’s disease. PLoS One 8(12):e83919. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0083919 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 12.Boucetta S, Cissé Y, Mainville L, Morales M, Jones BE (2014) Discharge profiles across the sleep-waking cycle of identified cholinergic, GABAergic, and glutamatergic neurons in the pontomesencephalic tegmentum of the rat. J Neurosci 34(13):4708–4727. https://doi.org/10.1523/JNEUROSCI.2617-13.2014 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 14.Baksa B, Kovács A, Bayasgalan T, Szentesi P, Kőszeghy Á, Szücs P, Pál B (2019) Characterization of functional subgroups among genetically identified cholinergic neurons in the pedunculopontine nucleus. Cell Mol Life Sci 76(14):2799–2815. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00018-019-03025-4 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 22.Murillo-Rodríguez E, Millán-Aldaco D, Di Marzo V, Drucker-Colín R (2008) The anandamide membrane transporter inhibitor, VDM-11, modulates sleep and c-Fos expression in the rat brain. Neuroscience 157(1):1–11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroscience.2008.08.056 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 23.Ishibashi M, Gumenchuk I, Kang B, Steger C, Lynn E, Molina NE, Eisenberg LM, Leonard CS (2015) Orexin receptor activation generates gamma band input to cholinergic and serotonergic arousal system neurons and drives an intrinsic Ca(2+)-dependent resonance in LDT and PPT cholinergic neurons. Front Neurol. 2(6):120. https://doi.org/10.3389/fneur.2015.00120 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 30.Kovács A, Bordás C, Bíró T, Hegyi Z, Antal M, Szücs P, Pál B (2017) Direct presynaptic and indirect astrocyte-mediated mechanisms both contribute to endocannabinoid signaling in the pedunculopontine nucleus of mice. Brain Struct Funct. 222(1):247–266. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00429-016-1214-0 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 31.Wang S, Xing TR, Tang ML, Yong W, Li CC, Chen L, Wang HL, Tang JL, Ruan DY (2008) Effects of Cd2+ on transient outward and delayed rectifier potassium currents in acutely isolated rat hippocampal CA1 neurons. Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol. 377(3):245–253. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00210-008-0278-7(Epub 2008 Apr 2) CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar