Alenush Terian: The Iranian Solar Mother
- 122 Downloads
We present a biographical sketch of Alenush Terian, the first Iranian woman physicist, who was known as the Iranian Solar Mother, since she founded the first solar telescopic observatory in Iran. She taught and carried out astronomical research for three decades with inadequate resources but with unflinching devotion, motivated by a strong desire to propagate scientific education and research in her country.
KeywordsAlenush Terian University of Tehran Institute of Geophysics astronomy physics history of astronomy and physics
- 1.Dina Izadi and Azita Seiedfadaei, “Iranian Women in Physics,” in Beverly Karplus Hartline, K. Renee Norton, and Catherine M. Kaicher, ed., Women in Physics: 3 rd IUPAP International Conference on Women in Physics, Seoul, Korea, 3-10 October 2008 [AIP Conference Proceedings, Vol. 1119] (Melville, N.Y.: American Institute of Physics, 2009), p. 218.Google Scholar
- 2.See website <http://www.payvand.com/news/07/dec/1183.html>.
- 3.See website <http://armeniansworld.com/?tag=mother-of-iran>.
- 4.See website <http://iranahay.blogspot.com/ blog by ARMEN SARVARIAN, 5 March 2011>.
- 5.Mehdi Soleymani and Izad Izadpanah, Iranian Scientists in Basic Sciences Between 1900 to 2010 (Tehran: Iranian Academy of Science, 2011), pp. 5-73.Google Scholar