Diacerein decreases TNF-α and IL-1β levels in peritoneal fluid and prevents Baker’s yeast-induced fever in young rats
- 252 Downloads
To investigate the effect of diacerein, an anti-inflammatory drug, on body temperature and protocols of fever induction in male Wistar rats.
The effect of diacerein (5.0 mg/kg, s.c.) on rectal temperature (T R) changes induced by Baker’s yeast (0.135 g/kg, i.p.) and PGE2 (10 ng/animal, i.t.) was evaluated. T R changes were recorded over time. The leukocyte count and TNF-α and IL-1β content were evaluated in the peritoneal fluid by means of optical microscopy and enzyme immunoassay (ELISA kits), respectively.
The administration of diacerein to febrile animals attenuated Baker’s yeast-induced fever but did not alter prostaglandin E2-induced fever. Diacerein prevented the development of Baker’s yeast-induced fever and significantly attenuated the increase in peritoneal leukocytes and decreased IL-1β and TNF-α levels in peritoneal fluid.
These data suggest that diacerein partially protects against Baker’s yeast-induced fever and peritoneal leukocyte migration, and indicate that this effect appears to be due to inhibition of release of cytokines (such as TNF-α and IL-1β).
KeywordsFever Cytokines Leukocyte migration In vivo inflammation Infection Baker’s yeast
The authors thank Paulino Aguiar and Florindo Duarte for competent technical support. Research supported by CNPq, CAPES and FAPERGS. C.F.M. and M.A.R. are the recipients of CNPq fellowships, grant numbers 500120/2003-0 and 500096/2003-1, respectively.
- 5.Dascombe MJ, Rotwell NJ, Sagay BO, Stock MJ. Pyrogenic and thermogenic effects of interleukin-1β in the rat. Am J Physiol. 1989;256:7–11.Google Scholar
- 9.Smith BK, Kluger MJ. Human IL-1 receptor antagonist partially suppresses LPS fever but not plasma levels of IL-6 in Fischer rats. Am J Physiol. 1992;263:653–5.Google Scholar
- 19.Yaron M, Shirazi I, Yaron I. Effets anti-interleukin-1 de la diacerhéine in vitro. Rev Prat. 1997;47:20–3.Google Scholar
- 21.National Committee for Clinical and Laboratory Standards (NCCLS). Reference method for dilution antifungal susceptibility testing of yeasts: approved standard. Documents M27-A2. 2002; Villanova, PA. V.17. n.9.Google Scholar
- 25.Martel-Pelletier J, Mineau F, Jolicouer FC, Cloutier JM, Pelletier JP. In vitro effects of diacerhein and rhein on interleukin-1 and tumour necrosis factor-alpha systems in human osteoarthritic synovium and chondrocytes. J Rheumatol. 1998;25:756–62.Google Scholar
- 26.Pelletier JP, Mineau F, Fernandes JC, Duval N, Martel-Pelletier J. Diacerhein and rhein reduce the interleukin-1 beta stimulated inducible nitric oxide synthesis level and activity while stimulating cyclooxygenase-2 synthesis in human osteoarthritic chondrocytes. J Rheumatol. 1998;25:2417–24.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 35.Morimoto A, Murakami N, Watanabe T. Dehydration enhances endotoxin fever by increased production of endogenous pyrogen. Am J Physiol. 1986;251:41–7.Google Scholar