The Non-Degenerate Dupin Cyclides in the Space of Spheres Using Geometric Algebra
Dupin cyclides are algebraic surfaces of degree 4 discovered by the French mathematician Pierre-Charles Dupin early in the 19th century and were introduced in CAD by R. Martin in 1982. A Dupin cyclide can be defined, in two different ways, as the envelope of a oneparameter family of oriented spheres. So, it is very interesting to model the Dupin cyclides in the space of spheres, space wherein each family of spheres can be seen as a conic curve. In this paper, we model the nondegenerate Dupin cyclides and the space of spheres using Conformal Geometric Algebra. This new approach permits us to benefit from the advantages of the use of Geometric Algebra.
KeywordsDupin cyclide space of spheres Conformal Geometric Algebra
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. Berger, M. Cole, and S. Levy, Geometry II. Number vol. 2 in Universitext (1979). Springer-Verlag, 1987.Google Scholar
- 2.G. Darboux, Leçons sur la Théorie Générale des Surfaces. Volume 1. Gauthier- Villars, 1887.Google Scholar
- 3.Leo Dorst, Daniel Fontijne, and Stephen Mann, Geometric Algebra for Computer Science: An Object Oriented Approach to Geometry. Morgan Kauffmann Publishers, 2007.Google Scholar
- 4.Druoton L., Garnier L., Langevin R., Marcellier H., Besnard R.: Les cyclides de Dupin et l’espace des sphères. R.E.F.I.G. 5(1), 41–59 (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.C. P. Dupin, Application de Géométrie et de Méchanique la Marine, aux Ponts et Chaussées, etc. Bachelier, Paris, 1822.Google Scholar
- 6.Daniel Fontijne and Leo Dorst, GAviewer, interactive visualization software for geometric algebra. Downloadable at http://www.geometricalgebra.net/downloads.html.
- 7.A. R. Forsyth, Lecture on Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces. Cambridge University Press, 1912.Google Scholar
- 8.L. Garnier and L. Druoton, Constructions of principal patches of Dupin cyclides defined by constraints : four vertices on a given circle and two perpendicular tangents at a vertex. Birmingham, September 2013. XIV Mathematics od Surfaces.Google Scholar
- 10.R. R. Martin, Principal patches for computational geometry. PhD thesis, Engineering Department, Cambridge University, 1982.Google Scholar