New Approach to Proportional Analysis of Palladio’s Designs in Book II with Particular Attention to Loggias
- 189 Downloads
The proportions that inform the plans in Palladio’s Quattro Libri have been the subject of studies for several decades and remained unsolved. Since Wittkower proposed his theory of harmonic proportions in Palladio’s architectural design, many researchers supported this idea and started to work around it. However, this theory was found invalid for numerous designs in the Quattro Libri, casting it into doubt. In particular, the harmonic theory does not explain the irrational ratio √2:1, which was among Palladio’s preferred. This research presents a new methodology for analysing the plans presented in Palladio’s Book II to define the proportions of rooms with indicated dimensions. Moreover, loggias and rooms with a ratio whose value is greater than 2 are also considered. The results demonstrated here prove that Palladio’s ratios were derived from a geometric source, namely simple squares and their parts.
KeywordsAndrea Palladio Quattro Libri Proportion theory Loggias
All figures, tables and charts are by the author. Thanks to Professor Michel Toussaint who encouraged me to do this work, saying that my idea of research is interesting and worthwhile developing into a paper. Kim Williams, the director of the conference series “Nexus: Relationships Between Architecture and Mathematics” and editor-in- chief of the Nexus Network Journal, and Stephen R. Wassell, the guest editor of the “Palladio Century” issue of the Nexus Network Journal, are thanked for critically reading the manuscript and suggesting substantial improvements.
- Alberti, Leon Battista. 1988. On the Art of Building in Ten Books. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Benrós, Deborah and José Pinto Duarte. 2012. A Generic Shape Grammar for the Palladian Villa, Malagueira House, and Prairie House. Design Computing and Cognition’12 12(18): 321–340. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-94-017-9112-0_18.
- Fletcher, Rachel. 2000. Golden Proportions in a Great House: Palladio’s Villa Emo. Pp. 73-85 in Nexus III: Architecture and Mathematics, Kim Williams, ed. Pisa: Pacini Editore. Rpt. in Architecture and Mathematics from Antiquity to the Future, vol. II, pp. 121-138, Kim Williams and Michael J. Ostwald, eds. Basel: Birkhäuser, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-00143-2_8.
- Hersey, George and Richard Freedman. 1992. Possible Palladian Villas: (Plus a Few Instructively Impossible Ones). Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Klerk, Rui de. 2017. A Quinta das Torres - Interpretacao e Analise Geometrica da sua Arquitetura, in Pires, A. G. (ed.) A villa renascentista : arquitetura, jardins, e paisagem : visão pluridisciplinar dos espaços e vivências da quinta de recreio de conceção renacentista. Lisbon: Caleidoscópio: 233–246.Google Scholar
- March, Lionel. 1998. Architectonics of Humanism: Essays on Number in Architecture. Chichester: Academy Editions.Google Scholar
- Mattei, Francesca. 2014. “The Changing Concept of Proportions”: Architecture, Mathematic and Geometry from Architectural Principles in the Age of Humanism to the Techno-Organic Movement. The Journal of Art Theory and Practice 18(1): 123–144. https://doi.org/10.15597/17381789201418123.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mitrović, Branko. 2001. A Palladian Palinode: Reassessing Rudolf Wittkower’s Architectural Principles in the Age of Humanism. Architectura 31: 113–131.Google Scholar
- Padovan, Richard. 1999. Proportion: Science, Philosophy, Architecture. London ; New York: E & FN Spon.Google Scholar
- Palladio, Andrea. 1997. The Four Books on Architecture. Cambridge, Mass: MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Serlio, Sebastiano. 1600. Tutte l’opere d’architettura et prrospetiva [i.e. prospettiva] di Sebastiano Serlio Bolognese. Venice: Presso gli Heredi di Francesco de’Franceschi.Google Scholar
- Tavernor, Robert. 1991. Palladio and Palladianism. New York, N.Y: Thames and Hudson.Google Scholar
- Tikhonova, Olha. 2018. Architectural Morphology of Fortified Palace in Pidhirtsi, Ukraine. In: Proceedings of the 6th Annual International Conference on Architecture and Civil Engineering, ed. H. S. Martin, 40-47. Singapore: GSTF. https://doi.org/10.5176/2301-394x_ace18.75.
- Vitruvius, Pollio. 1960. Vitruvius : The Ten Books on Architecture. New York: Dover Publications.Google Scholar
- Wilinski, Stanislaw. 1969. ‘La serliana’. Bollettino del Centro Internazionale di Studi di Architettura Andrea Palladio/Centro Internazionale di Studi di Architettura Andrea Palladio 7: 399–429.Google Scholar
- Wittkower, Rudolf. 1998. Architectural Principles in the Age of Humanism. 5th ed. Chichester, West Sussex: Academy Editions.Google Scholar