Improving Spoke Wheel Roofs with the Geometry of Rasmi-Bandis
- 8 Downloads
Spoke wheel roofs are efficient structures, especially in stadiums. The conventional types of these structures are optimal in circular plans, but plans in sports stadiums are often oval. Spoke wheel roofs with oval plans impose more bending force than those with circular plan, reducing the optimization of spoke wheel roofs. The aim of this paper is to increase optimization of these structures in non-circular plans and also to increase the variety of plan shapes. To do this, rasmi-bandi, structures similar to spoke wheel roofs, are studied. The geometry and structure of rasmi-bandi in non-circular plans are analyzed. This allows us to suggest a pattern to design efficient spoke wheel roofs in non-circular plans such as stadiums.
KeywordsSpoke wheel roof Cable roof Compression ring roof Rasmi-bandi structures Geometry Structural analysis Persian architecture
- Boom, I. 2012. Tensile-compression ring; a study for football stadia roof structures. Master thesis. University of Technology Delft.Google Scholar
- Bozorgmehri, Z. 1992. Hendese Dar Me’māri (Geometry in Architecture). Tehran: Sāzmān-e Mirās-e Farhangi-ye Keshvar (Iranian Cultural Heritage Organization). (In Farsi).Google Scholar
- Allen, Edward and Waclaw Zalewski. 2010. Form and forces: designing efficient, expressive structures. New Jersey: John Wiley and Sons.Google Scholar
- El-lishani, Sana Said. 2004. Cable domes and Their Stability. Ph.D. Diss. University of Surrey.Google Scholar
- Garofalo, Vincenza. 2016. The Geometry of a Domed Architecture: A Stately Example of Kārbandi at Bagh-e Dolat Abad in Yazd. Nexus Network Journal 18(1): 169–195. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00004-015-0286-0.
- Kim, Hailey. 2017. Structural performance of spoke wheel roof systems. Ph.D. Diss. Massachusetts Institute of Technology.Google Scholar
- Moore, Fuller. 2011. Understanding Structures (1999). Mahmood Golabchi, trans. Tehran: Tehran University (in Farsi).Google Scholar
- Mohammadi, Amir Amjad, Maziar Asefi and Ahad Nejad Ebrahimi. 2018. The Geometrical Regularization for Covering Irregular Bases with Karbandi. Nexus Network Journal 20(2): 331-352. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00004-018-0373-0.
- Park, K, Park, M, Shin S. 2017. Design of large space cable roofs with retractable systems to open and close. International Journal of Latest Trends in Engineering and Technology 8 (41). https://doi.org/10.21172/1.841.34.
- Pour Ahmadi, Mojtaba 2014. A Basic Method for Naming Persian Karbandis Using a Set of Numbers. Nexus Network Journal 16(2): 313–343. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00004-014-0192-x.
- Salvadori, Mario. 1990. Why Buildings Stand Up: The Strength of Architecture. New York: W.W. Norton.Google Scholar
- Sha’rbaf, A. 2006. Gereh va karbādi. Tehran: Sazman-e Miras-e Farhangi-ye Keshvar (Iranian Cultural Heritage Organization) (in Farsi).Google Scholar