The first heat: production of entanglement entropy in the early universe
- 21 Downloads
Entanglement entropy (EE) of a spatial region quantifies correlations between the region and its surroundings. For a free scalar in the adiabatic vacuum in de Sitter space the EE is known to remain low, scaling as the surface area of the region. Here, we study the evolution of entanglement after the universe transitions from de Sitter to flat space. We concentrate on the case of a massless minimally coupled scalar. We find numerically that, after the de Sitter stage ends, the EE and the Ŕenyi entropy rapidly grow and saturate at values obeying the volume law. The final state of the subsystem (region) is a partially thermalized state reminiscent of a generalized Gibbs ensemble. We comment on application of our results to the question of when and how cosmological perturbations decohere.
KeywordsCosmology of Theories beyond the SM Integrable Field Theories Classical Theories of Gravity Field Theories in Lower Dimensions
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC-BY 4.0), which permits any use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author(s) and source are credited
- S. Khlebnikov and M. Kruczenski, Locality, entanglement, and thermalization of isolated quantum systems, Phys. Rev.E 90 (2014) 050101(R) [INSPIRE].
- V.F. Mukhanov and G.V. Chibisov, Quantum fluctuations and a nonsingular universe, JETP Lett.33 (1981) 532 [Pisma Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz.33 (1981) 549] [INSPIRE].
- S.W. Hawking, The development of irregularities in a single bubble inflationary universe, Phys. Lett.B 115 (1982) 295 [INSPIRE].
- A.A. Starobinsky, Dynamics of phase transition in the new inflationary universe scenario and generation of perturbations, Phys. Lett.B 117 (1982) 175 [INSPIRE].
- R. Simon, N. Mukunda and B. Dutta, Quantum-noise matrix for multimode systems: U(n) invariance, squeezing, and normal forms, Phys. Rev.A 49 (1994) 1567.Google Scholar
- M. Rigol, V. Dunjko, V. Yurovsky and M. Olshanii, Relaxation in a completely integrable many-body quantum system: an ab initio study of the dynamics of the highly excited states of 1d lattice hard-core bosons, Phys. Rev. Lett.98 (2007) 050405 [cond-mat/0604476].
- G.W. Gibbons and S.W. Hawking, Cosmological event horizons, thermodynamics and particle creation, Phys. Rev.D 15 (1977) 2738 [INSPIRE].