Does the SYK model have a spin glass phase?
We argue that the Sachdev-Ye-Kitaev model has no spin glass phase, based on calculations involving both the nearly-conformal limit and the strongly-coupled Schwarzian limit of the model. This conclusion is supported by numerical computations of eigenvalue statistics with up to 46 Majorana fermions. In addition, we find numerically that the distribution of the ground state energy is Gaussian.
KeywordsField Theories in Lower Dimensions Random Systems
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC-BY 4.0), which permits any use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author(s) and source are credited.
- O. Parcollet and A. Georges, Non-Fermi-liquid regime of a doped Mott insulator, Phys. Rev. B 59 (1999) 5341.Google Scholar
- A. Kitaev, A simple model of quantum holography (part 1), talk at KITP, http://online.kitp.ucsb.edu/online/entangled15/kitaev/, University of California, Santa Barbara, U.S.A., 7 April 2015.
- A. Kitaev, A simple model of quantum holography (part 2), talk at KITP, http://online.kitp.ucsb.edu/online/entangled15/kitaev2/, University of California, Santa Barbara, U.S.A., 27 May 2015.
- A. Georges, O. Parcollet and S. Sachdev, Quantum fluctuations of a nearly critical Heisenberg spin glass, Phys. Rev. B 63 (2001) 134406.Google Scholar
- L. Arrachea and M.J. Rozenberg, Infinite-range quantum random Heisenberg magnet, Phys. Rev. B 65 (2002) 224430 [cond-mat/0203537].
- F. Denef, TASI lectures on complex structures, in Proceedings, Theoretical Advanced Study Institute in Elementary Particle Physics (TASI 2010). String theory and its applications: from meV to the Planck scale, Boulder, CO, U.S.A., 1-25 June 2010, World Scientific, Singapore, (2011), pg. 407 [arXiv:1104.0254] [INSPIRE].
- A.J. Bray and M.A. Moore, Replica theory of quantum spin glasses, J. Phys. C 13 (1980) L655.Google Scholar
- M.J. Bowick and É. Brézin, Universal scaling of the tail of the density of eigenvalues in random matrix models, Phys. Lett. B 268 (1991) 21 [INSPIRE].
- P.J. Forrester, The spectrum edge of random matrix ensembles, Nucl. Phys. B 402 (1993) 709 [INSPIRE].
- C.A. Tracy and H. Widom, Distribution functions for largest eigenvalues and their applications, math-ph/0210034.
- C.A. Tracy and H. Widom, The distributions of random matrix theory and their applications, in New trends in mathematical physics, Springer, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, (2009), pg. 753.Google Scholar
- J.K. Cullum and R.A. Willoughby, Lanczos algorithms for large symmetric eigenvalue computations. Volume 1: theory, in Applied Mathematics 41, SIAM, U.S.A., (2002).Google Scholar
- A. Parisi, The order parameter for spin glasses: a function on the interval 0-1, J. Phys. A 13 (1980) 1101 [INSPIRE].
- M. Mezard, G. Parisi and M. Virasoro, Spin glass theory and beyond, in Lecture Notes in Physics Series 9, World Scientific, Singapore, (1986).Google Scholar