Phase transitions and conductivities of Floquet fluids
We investigate the phase structure and conductivity of a relativistic fluid in a circulating electric field with a transverse magnetic field. This system exhibits behavior similar to other driven systems such as strongly coupled driven CFTs  or a simple anharmonic oscillator. We identify distinct regions of fluid behavior as a function of driving frequency, and argue that a “phase” transition will occur. Such a transition could be measurable in graphene, and may be characterized by sudden discontinuous increase in the Hall conductivity. The presence of the discontinuity depends on how the boundary is approached as the frequency or amplitude is dialed. In the region where two solution exists the measured conductivity will depend on how the system is prepared.
KeywordsHolography and condensed matter physics (AdS/CMT) Holography and quark-gluon plasmas
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC-BY 4.0), which permits any use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author(s) and source are credited.
- R. Roy and F. Harper, Periodic table for Floquet topological insulators, Phys. Rev. B 96 (2017) 155118 [arXiv:1603.06944].
- D.V. Else, B. Bauer and C. Nayak, Floquet time crystals, Phys. Rev. Lett. 117 (2016) 090402 [arXiv:1603.08001].
- H.C. Po, L. Fidkowski, A. Vishwanath and A.C. Potter, Radical chiral Floquet phases in a periodically driven Kitaev model and beyond, Phys. Rev. B 96 (2017) 245116 [arXiv:1701.01440].
- M.S. Rudner, N.H. Lindner, E. Berg and M. Levin, Anomalous edge states and the bulk-edge correspondence for periodically driven two-dimensional systems, Phys. Rev. X 3 (2013) 031005 [arXiv:1212.3324].
- R. Moessner, P. Surówka and P. Witkowski, Pulsating flow and boundary layers in viscous electronic hydrodynamics, Phys. Rev. B 97 (2018) 161112 [arXiv:1710.00354].
- T. Oka and H. Aoki, Photovoltaic Hall effect in graphene, Phys. Rev. B 79 (2009) 081406 [arXiv:0807.4767].
- C.W. von Keyserlingk and S.L. Sondhi, Phase structure of one-dimensional interacting Floquet systems. I. Abelian symmetry-protected topological phases, Phys. Rev. B 93 (2016) 245145 [arXiv:1602.02157].
- C.W. von Keyserlingk and S.L. Sondhi, Phase structure of one-dimensional interacting Floquet systems. II. Symmetry-broken phases, Phys. Rev. B 93 (2016) 245146.Google Scholar
- D. Svintsov, Hydrodynamic-to-ballistic crossover in Dirac fluid, Phys. Rev. B 97 (2018) 121405 [arXiv:1710.05054].