Covariant effective action for a Galilean invariant quantum Hall system
- 93 Downloads
We construct effective field theories for gapped quantum Hall systems coupled to background geometries with local Galilean invariance i.e. Bargmann spacetimes. Along with an electromagnetic field, these backgrounds include the effects of curved Galilean spacetimes, including torsion and a gravitational field, allowing us to study charge, energy, stress and mass currents within a unified framework. A shift symmetry specific to single constituent theories constraints the effective action to couple to an effective background gauge field and spin connection that is solved for by a self-consistent equation, providing a manifestly covariant extension of Hoyos and Son’s improvement terms to arbitrary order in m.
KeywordsEffective field theories Space-Time Symmetries
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC-BY 4.0), which permits any use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author(s) and source are credited.
- X.G. Wen and A. Zee, Shift and spin vector: New topological quantum numbers for the Hall fluids, Phys. Rev. Lett. 69 (1992) 953 [Erratum ibid. 69 (1992) 3000] [INSPIRE].
- J.E. Avron, Odd Viscosity, J. Stat. Phys. 92 (1997) 543 [physics/9712050].
- C.W. Misner, K.S. Thorne and J.A. Wheeler, Gravitation, W.H. Freeman, San Francisco (1973).Google Scholar
- D.B. Malament, Topics in the foundations of general relativity and Newtonian gravitation theory, University of Chicago Press (2012).Google Scholar
- R.M. Wald, General Relativity, The University of Chicago Press (1984).Google Scholar
- M. Geracie, K. Prabhu and M.M. Roberts, in preparation.Google Scholar