Intrinsic limits on resolutions in muon- and electron-neutrino charged-current events in the KM3NeT/ORCA detector
Open AccessRegular Article - Experimental Physics
Studying atmospheric neutrino oscillations in the few-GeV range with a multi-megaton detector promises to determine the neutrino mass hierarchy. This is the main science goal pursued by the future KM3NeT/ORCA water Cherenkov detector in the Mediterranean Sea. In this paper, the processes that limit the obtainable resolution in both energy and direction in charged-current neutrino events in the ORCA detector are investigated. These processes include the composition of the hadronic fragmentation products, the subsequent particle propagation and the photon-sampling fraction of the detector. GEANT simulations of neutrino interactions in seawater produced by GENIE are used to study the effects in the 1-20 GeV range. It is found that fluctuations in the hadronic cascade in conjunction with the variation of the inelasticity y are most detrimental to the resolutions. The effect of limited photon sampling in the detector is of significantly less importance. These results will therefore also be applicable to similar detectors/media, such as those in ice.
KeywordsNeutrino Detectors and Telescopes (experiments)
13130_2017_5971_MOESM1_ESM.gz (30 kb)
- Super-Kamiokande collaboration, Y. Fukuda et al., The Super-Kamiokande detector, Nucl. Instrum. Meth. A 501 (2003) 418 [INSPIRE].
- R. Brun et al., GEANT3, CERN-DD-EE-84-1 (1987).
- ANTARES collaboration, A. Margiotta, Common simulation tools for large volume neutrino detectors, Nucl. Instrum. Meth. A 725 (2013) 98 [INSPIRE].
- H. Fesefeldt, The Simulation of Hadronic Showers: Physics and Applications, PITHA 85/02 (1985) [INSPIRE].
- T.T. Böhlen et al., The FLUKA Code: Developments and Challenges for High Energy and Medical Applications, Nuclear Data Sheets 120 (2014) 211.
- M.P. Kowalski, Search for neutrino induced cascades with the AMANDA-II detector, Ph.D. Thesis, Humbolt Universität Berlin, Germany (2004).Google Scholar
- J. Hofestädt, Measuring the neutrino mass hierarchy with the future KM3NeT/ORCA detector, Ph.D. Thesis, Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nürnberg (FAU), Germany (2017).Google Scholar
- A. Ferrari and P. Sala, GEANT Hadronic Event Generators: a comparison at the single interaction level, ATL-PHYS-96-086 (1996).
- Particle Data Group collaboration, K.A. Olive et al., Review of Particle Physics, Chin. Phys. C 38 (2014) 090001 [INSPIRE].
© The Author(s) 2017