Minimal gauge invariant and gauge fixed actions for massive higher-spin fields
- 27 Downloads
Inspired by the rich structure of covariant string field theory, we propose a minimal gauge invariant action for general massive integer spin n field. The action consists of four totally symmetric tensor fields of order respectively n, n − 1, n − 2 and n − 3, and is invariant under the gauge transformation represented by two also totally symmetric fields of order n − 1 and n − 2. This action exactly has the same gauge structure as for the string field theory and we discuss general covariant gauge fixing procedure using the knowledge of string field theory. We explicitly construct the corresponding gauge fixed action for each of general covariant gauge fixing conditions.
KeywordsBRST Quantization Gauge Symmetry Higher Spin Symmetry String Field Theory
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC-BY 4.0), which permits any use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author(s) and source are credited.
- M. Fierz and W. Pauli, On relativistic wave equations for particles of arbitrary spin in an electromagnetic field, Proc. Roy. Soc. Lond. A 173 (1939) 211 [INSPIRE].
- E.P. Wigner, On unitary representations of the inhomogeneous Lorentz group, Ann. Math. 40 (1939) 149 [Nucl. Phys. Proc. Suppl. 6 (1989) 9] [INSPIRE].
- L.P.S. Singh and C.R. Hagen, Lagrangian formulation for arbitrary spin. 1. The boson case, Phys. Rev. D 9 (1974) 898 [INSPIRE].
- G.B. West, The construction of gauge invariant actions for arbitrary spin and bosonic string field theories, Nucl. Phys. B 277 (1986) 125 [INSPIRE].
- A.I. Pashnev, Composite systems and field theory for a free Regge trajectory, Theor. Math. Phys. 78 (1989) 272 [Teor. Mat. Fiz. 78 (1989) 384] [INSPIRE].
- A.K.H. Bengtsson, A unified action for higher spin gauge bosons from covariant string theory, Phys. Lett. B 182 (1986) 321 [INSPIRE].
- M. Bochicchio, String field theory in the Siegel gauge, Phys. Lett. B 188 (1987) 330 [INSPIRE].
- M. Bochicchio, Gauge fixing for the field theory of the bosonic string, Phys. Lett. B 193 (1987) 31 [INSPIRE].
- C.B. Thorn, Perturbation theory for quantized string fields, Nucl. Phys. B 287 (1987) 61 [INSPIRE].
- L.P.S. Singh and C.R. Hagen, Lagrangian formulation for arbitrary spin. 2. The fermion case, Phys. Rev. D 9 (1974) 910 [INSPIRE].