Note on monopole operators in Chern-Simons-matter theories
- 12 Downloads
Monopole operators in Chern-Simons theories with charged matter have been studied using the state-operator map in CFTs, as states on ℝ × S2 with background magnetic flux on S2. Gauge invariance requires a dressing with matter modes which provides non-zero spin to the monopoles. In this note we propose a description of the monopole operators directly on ℝ3, as a singular behavior of the gauge and matter fields in the vicinity of the insertion point, with a dressing. We study abelian theories with a charged boson or a charged fermion. We extend the discussion to abelian supersymmetric Chern-Simons-matter theories and describe the BPS monopoles, which have spin and preserve a single supercharge. We match our results against the prediction from the superconformal index.
KeywordsChern-Simons Theories Field Theories in Lower Dimensions Supersymmetric Gauge Theory
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC-BY 4.0), which permits any use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author(s) and source are credited.
- N. Read and S. Sachdev, Spin-Peierls, valence-bond solid and Neel ground states of low-dimensional quantum antiferromagnets, Phys. Rev. B 42 (1990) 4568 [INSPIRE].
- T. Senthil et al., Quantum criticality beyond the Landau-Ginzburg-Wilson paradigm, cond-mat/0312617.
- I. Affleck, J.A. Harvey and E. Witten, Instantons and (super)symmetry breaking in (2 + 1)-dimensions, Nucl. Phys. B 206 (1982) 413 [INSPIRE].
- T.T. Wu and C.N. Yang, Dirac monopole without strings: monopole harmonics, Nucl. Phys. B 107 (1976) 365 [INSPIRE].
- T.T. Wu and C.N. Yang, Some properties of monopole harmonics, Phys. Rev. D 16 (1977) 1018 [INSPIRE].
- G.W. Moore and N. Seiberg, Taming the conformal zoo, Phys. Lett. B 220 (1989) 422 [INSPIRE].
- M.F. Atiyah, V.K. Patodi and I.M. Singer, Spectral asymmetry and Riemannian Geometry I, Math. Proc. Cambridge Phil. Soc. 77 (1975) 43.Google Scholar
- M. F. Atiyah, V.K. Patodi and I.M. Singer, Spectral asymmetry and Riemannian geometry III, Math. Proc. Cambridge Phil. Soc. 79 (1976) 71.Google Scholar