Gauge theories and dessins d’enfants: beyond the torus
Dessin d’enfants on elliptic curves are a powerful way of encoding doubly-periodic brane tilings, and thus, of four-dimensional supersymmetric gauge theories whose vacuum moduli space is toric, providing an interesting interplay between physics, geometry, combinatorics and number theory. We discuss and provide a partial classification of the situation in genera other than one by computing explicit Belyi pairs associated to the gauge theories. Important also is the role of the Igusa and Shioda invariants that generalise the elliptic j-invariant.
KeywordsBrane Dynamics in Gauge Theories AdS-CFT Correspondence Differential and Algebraic Geometry
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC-BY 4.0), which permits any use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author(s) and source are credited.
- Y.-H. He, A. Hanany, A. Lukas and B. Ovrut, Computational algebraic geometry in string and gauge theory, Adv. High Energy Phys. (2012) 431898.Google Scholar
- J. Sijsling and J. Voight, On computing Belyi maps, arXiv:1311.2529.
- M. van Hoeij and R. Vidunas, Algorithms and differential relations for Belyi functions, arXiv:1305.7218.
- G.A. Jones, Regular dessins with a given automorphism group, arXiv:1309.5219.
- A. Elkin, Belyi maps webpage, http://homepages.warwick.ac.uk/~masjaf/belyi/.
- S.K. Lando and A.K. Zvonkin, Graphs on surfaces and their applications, 1st ed., Springer, Germany (2004).Google Scholar
- G. Megyesi, The j-invariant of an elliptic curve, University of Manchester Lecture Notes, Manchester U.K. (2012), pg. 1.Google Scholar
- T. Nagell, Sur les propriétés arithmétiques des cubiques du premier genre (in French), Acta Math. 52 (1929) 93.Google Scholar
- J.-F. Mestre, Construction de courbes de genre 2 à partir de leurs modules (in French), Progr. Math. 94 (1991) 313.Google Scholar
- M. Streng, Computing Igusa class polynomials, arXiv:0903.4766.
- K. Lauter and T. Yang, Computing genus 2 curves from invariants on the Hilbert moduli space, Lecture Notes for the International Association for Cryptologic Research, (2000), pg. 1.Google Scholar
- K.E. Lauter and K.A. Ribet, Computational arithmetic geometry, 1st ed., American Mathematical Society, U.S.A. (2008).Google Scholar