Effect of Simultaneous Use of Silica and Nanoclay in Rubber Compounds Based on Nitrile Rubber
- 1 Downloads
The synergistic effect of simultaneous use of two reinforcing fillers in rubber compounds based on Acrylonitrile Butadiene Rubber (NBR) was investigated with mechanical and vulcanisation characteristics of the rubber compounds. The Wide-Angle X-ray Diffraction (WAXD) patterns showed that in hybrid compounds, no obvious peaks appeared. This indicated that the nanoclay was exfoliated. These results revealed that addition of the reinforcing filler, either nanoclay or silica, shortened the optimum cure time (t90) and also scorch time (ts1) of samples compared to that of pure NBR compound. In hybrid compounds, the reduction in optimum cure time and scorch time was higher than that of for silica-filled NBR or nanoclay-filled NBR compounds. This can be attributed to the synergistic effect between nanoclay and silica as two reinforcing agents in NBR compounds. Regardless the composition of the reinforcing filler, an increase of the relaxed storage modulus was observed, while the tand value was gradually decreased. For hybrid samples, the experimental values of dynamic modulus showed a positive deviation from the values obtained from the Modified Guth model. Hybrid compounds showed higher burst strength compared to silica or nanoclay filled NBR compounds.
KeywordsSilica nanoclay NBR mechanical properties synergistic effect
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.CHAYAN, D. AND BHARAT, K. (2012) Preparation and Studies of Nitrile Rubber Nanocomposites with Silane Modified Silica Nanoparticles. Res. J. Rec. Sci., 1(2), 357–360.Google Scholar
- 9.LI, Q., ZHAO, S. AND PAN, Y. (2010) Structure, Morphology, and Properties of HNBR Filled with N550, SiO2, ZDMA, and Two of Three Kinds of Fillers. J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 117(1), 421–427.Google Scholar
- 10.OSTAD MOVAHED, S., ANSARIFAR, A. AND MIRZAIE, F. (2015) Effect of Various Efficient Vulcanization Cure Systems on the Compression Set of a Nitrile Rubber Filled with Different Fillers. J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 132(8), 41512(1-10).Google Scholar
- 14.SALKHORD, S., AND SADEGHI GHARI, H. (2015) Synergistic Reinforcement of NBR by Hybrid Filler System Including Organoclay and Nano-CaCO3. J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 131(44), 42744–42758.Google Scholar
- 16.ASTM D412-06a, Standard Test Methods for Vulcanized Rubber and Thermoplastic Rubbers and Thermoplastic Elastomers-Tension, ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, 2006.Google Scholar
- 17.ASTM D2240-05, Standard Test Method for Rubber Property–Durometer Hardness, ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, 2005.Google Scholar
- 18.ASTM E1640-09, Standard Test Method for Assignment of the Glass Transition Temperature By Dynamic Mechanical Analysis, ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, 2009.Google Scholar
- 26.GUTH, E. AND GOLD, O. (1938) Hydrodynamical Theory of the Viscosity of Suspension. Phys. Rev., 53(1), 322–328.Google Scholar
- 28.GUTH, E. AND GOLD, O. (1938) Hydrodynamical Theory of the Viscosity of Suspension. Phys. Rev., 53(1), 322–328.Google Scholar