Collateralized Lending by Indian Banks: Some Explanations and Policy Implications
This paper draws a parallel between the extent of unsecured lending that a bank does and the screening effort extended by the bank. Since unsecured lending requires screening on the part of the bank, higher the percentage of unsecured loans in total loans, higher is likely to be the screening effort while processing loan applications. Using panel data relating to banks in India, we find that on an average a higher extent of screening effort or unsecured loans is likely to be provided by banks that are large, have low level of non-performing assets, and are in the private sector. Further, persistence in the extent of unsecured lending seems to suggest that any change in unsecured lending/ screening effort is likely to be rather slow.
KeywordsBanks Collateralized lending Screening effort
JEL classificationE44 G21
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Banerjee, A. V., S. Cole, and E. Dufio, 2003, Bank Financing in India, Mimeo, MIT.Google Scholar
- Black, J., D. de Meza, and D. Jeffreys, 1996, House Prices, the Supply of Collateral and the Enterprise Economy, The Economic Journal 106, pp. 60–75.Google Scholar
- Mohan, Rakesh, January 2003, Transforming Indian Banking: In Search of a Better Tomorrow, Valedictory address delivered by Dr, Rakesh Mohan, Deputy Governor, Reserve Bank of India at the Bank Economists’ Conference 2002, reprinted in Reserve Bank of India Bulletin, pp. 9–18.Google Scholar
- Sarkar, Jayati, 1999, India’s Banking Sector: Current Status, Emerging Challenges and Policy Imperatives in a Globalized Environment, chap, in J. Hansen and S. Kathuria (edited) India: A Financial Sector for the Twenty-first Century, Oxford University Press, Delhi pp. 71–131.Google Scholar
- Sen, K., and R. R. Vaidya, 1997, The Process of Financial Liberalization in India. (Oxford University Press, Delhi).Google Scholar
- Siebrasse, Norman, 1997, A Review of Secured Lending Theory, Mimeo, University of New Brunswick.Google Scholar