Lessons Learned from the SD2 Operations on the Comet 67/P
This work deals with the space systems devoted to drilling and sampling of low-gravity extra-terrestrial soils and, in particular, with the cometary instrument SD2 (Sampler, Drill and Distribution subsystem) onboard the lander Philae of Rosetta mission, which was in charge to drill and sample the comet 67/P Churyumov-Gerasimenko. The behaviour of SD2 is analysed from the commissioning and the payload check-outs performed during the ten-year trip to the in situ activity, by illustrating the consequences of the non-nominal landing of Philae. Then, the lessons learned from SD2 operation during the entire mission are illustrated, which could help the definition of the requirements for future similar operations.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.C. Berner, L. Bourillet, J. Ellwood, M. Kasper, P. Kletzine, R. Schultz, G. Schwehm, Rosetta: ESA’s Comet Chaser, ESA Bulletin, 112 (2002) 10–37.Google Scholar
- 2.J.-P. Bibring, M.G.G.T. Taylor, C. Alexander, U. Auster, J. Biele, A. Ercoli Finzi, F. Goesmann, G. Klingelhoefer, W. Kofman, S. Mottola, K.J. Seidensticker, T. Spohn, I. Wright, Philae’s First Days on the Comet, Science, 349(2015) 493.Google Scholar
- 4.H. Boehnhardt, J.P. Bibring, The Philae Science Mission - A Preview, European Planetary Science Congress, EPSC Abstracts, 9(2014) EPSC2014-869.Google Scholar
- 5.A. Ercoli Finzi, P.G. Magnani, E. Re, S. Espinasse, A. Olivieri, SD2-How to Sample a Comet, Space Science Reviews, 128(2007) 281–299.Google Scholar
- 7.P. Di Lizia, F. Bernelli-Zazzera, A. Ercoli-Finzi, S. Mottola, C. Fantinati, E. Remetean, B. Dolives, Planning and implementation of the on-comet operations of the instrument SD2 onboard the lander Philae of Rosetta mission, Acta Astronautica, 125(2016) 183–195.Google Scholar
- 8.E. Remetean, B. Dolives, F. Souvannavong, T. Germa, J.B. Ginestet, A. Torres, T. Mousset, Philae Locating and Science Support by Robotic Vision Techniques, Acta Astronautica, 125 (2016) 161–173.Google Scholar