Numerical and experimental transition prediction on a realistic laminar swept wing
This paper is aimed at providing the outcomes of an activity carried out inside an Italian National Program named VITAS (Vettore Innovativo per il Trasporto AeroSostenibile) . The goal of the project was to design a transonic wing with an extended natural laminar region for a business jet (8–12 seats). Both experimental and numerical activities were carried out in order to define and verify the performance of this laminar wing. The paper will deal with the numerical activities, experimental/numerical comparison will be shown and results will be discussed.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Vitas project — codice univoco ricerca wsa07770, 2002–2005.Google Scholar
- 5.J. L. Van Ingen. A suggested semi-empirical method for the calculation of the boundary layer transition region. Technical Report VTH-74, University of Technology, Delft, 1956.Google Scholar
- 6.A.M.O. Smith and N. Gamberoni. Transition, pressure gradient and stability theory. Douglas Aircraft Company, 1956.Google Scholar
- 8.Metacomp Technologies Inc. CFD++ v10.1.2 R1 — User Manual.Google Scholar
- 9.R. Houdeville. Descriptif et mode d’emploi du code 3C3D. ONERA, RT DMAE N.° 1/15066, version v18.104.22.168 edition, Nov 2009.Google Scholar
- 10.P. De Matteis, R. S. Donelli, and P. Luchini. Application of the ray-tracing theory to the stability analysis of three-dimensional incompressible boundary layers. In XIII AIDAA Conference, 1995.Google Scholar
- 11.R. S. Donelli and P. Luchini. New and emerging techniques for transition prediction. ERCOF-TAC SIG 33 Workshop, Ravello, Italy. ERCOF-TAC Bulletin, N. 48, March 2001, April 2000.Google Scholar
- 12.ANSYS, Inc. ANSYS ICEM CFD — User Manual.Google Scholar
- 13.F. R. Menter. Zonal Two Equation k — ω Turbulence Models for Aerodynamic Flows. AIAA Journal, (93-2906), 1993.Google Scholar
- 14.Mark Drela. A User’s Guide to MSES 2.9. MIT Computational Aerospace Sciences Laboratory, October 1995.Google Scholar
- 15.Wind Tunnel Tests Of The UW-5006-NLF Wing. Technical Report CIRA-CF-06-0402, CIRA, 2006.Google Scholar
- 16.L. M. Mack. On the stability of the boundary layer on a transonic swept wing. AIAA paper, 0264, 1979.Google Scholar