Discontinuous mechanical problems studied with a peridynamics-based approach
The description of crack propagation in structural materials is still a great challenge because the discontinuous nature of the phenomena conflicts with the underlying mathematical structure of classical continuum mechanics. Recently a new non-local continuum theory has been proposed, Peridynamics, with the specific goal to overcome the limitations of the classical theory. Peridynamics is based on integral equations and does not make use of spatial differentiation, for these reasons it is better suited to describe problems affected by discontinuities. The paper presents a series of applications of peridynamics-based computational methods to the solution of static and dynamic structural problems.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 11.M. Duzzi, M. Zaccariotto, U. Galvanetto, “Application of Peridynamic Theory to Nanocomposite Materials”, Adv Mat Research, Vol. 1016, pp. 44–48, 2014.Google Scholar
- 26.ABAQUS-Explicit Version 6. 6 User’s Manual, ABAQUS Inc., Providence, Rhode Island, 2006.Google Scholar
- 31.W. H. Gerstle, N. Sau, and S. A. Silling, “Peridynamic modeling of plain and reinforced concrete structures”, 18th International Conference on Structural Mechanics in Reactor Technology, Beijing, China, 2005.Google Scholar
- 33.M. Zaccariotto, D. Tomasi, U. Galvanetto, “An enhanced coupling of PD grids to FE meshes”, Mech Res Comm, in press, 2017.Google Scholar
- 34.M. Zaccariotto, T. Mudric, D. Tomasi, A. Shojaei U. Galvanetto, “Coupling of FEM meshes with Peridynamic grids”, submitted for publication.Google Scholar
- 36.U. Galvanetto, P. Robinson, A. Cerioni and C. L. Armas, “A Simple Model for the Evaluation of Constitutive Laws for the Computer Simulation of Fatigue-Driven Delamination in Composite Materials”, SDHM, Vol. 5, No 2, pp. 161–189, 2009.Google Scholar
- 37.M. Zaccariotto, F. Luongo, G. Sarego, D. Dipasquale and U. Galvanetto, “Fatigue Crack Propagation with Peridynamics: a sensitivity study of Paris law parameters”, CEAS 2013, Innov Eur Sweden, Linkoping, Sweden 2013.Google Scholar