The Features of Wollastonite in Balikesir and its Use in Ceramic Materials as an Alternative Raw Material
In this work, the influences of wollastonite in Balikesir (Turkey) on ceramic sanitaryware properties were investigated. Samples of wollastonite were collected from the Serçeören deposit in Balikesir. Their characterizations were carried out with the determination of petrographic, physical, mechanical and chemical composition, and by TG-DTA, XRD and SEM. In a second part of the work, tests in sanitaryware compositions were conducted in order to evaluate the suitability of the addition of wollastonite instead of albite in the sanitaryware compositions used in the production of ceramic sanitaryware. The rheological, physical and firing tests of developed sanitaryware bodies were done with the Creavit® new body development test procedure and, results were compared with each other. After evaluating test results it was seen that wollastonite can be used in ceramic sanitary ware bodies as an alternative raw material.
Keywordswollastonite sanitaryware traditional ceramics industrial raw materials
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fortuna, D.: Sanitaryware, Gruppo Editoriale Faenza Editrice S.P.A., (2000) 55–61Google Scholar
- Sinton, C.W.: Raw Materials for Glass and Ceramics: Sources, Processes, and Quality Control. Published by John Wiley & Sons of USA, ISBN: 978-0-471-47942-0, New Jersey/USA March (2006) 368 PageGoogle Scholar
- ISRM: Rock characterization testing and monitoring, ISRM Suggested Methods. Internat. Soc. for Rock Mechanics (1981) 211Google Scholar
- Turkish Standard Institute (TSI): WC pans and WC suites with integral trap, TS 800 EN 997, ICS 91.140.70, Ankara, (2005)Google Scholar
- Davidge, R.W.: Mechanical Behaviour of Ceramics. Published by Cambridge University of UK, ISBN 0 521 21915 9, Cambridge/UK (1979)Google Scholar
- Kingery, W.D.: Introduction to Ceramics. Published by John Wiley & Sons of USA, Publication Number 81664, New York, (1960) 781 PageGoogle Scholar