Refractories in IGCC Technology — State of the Art and New Approaches
In gasifiers, a carbon feedstock reacts with oxygen and water to produce syngas. We will describe the contribution of gasification technology to environmentally beneficial power generation (IGCC power stations) allowing for higher input of renewable biomass and coal mixtures, whilst at the same time decreasing CO2-emissions. The gasification chamber is protected by a chromia-rich refractory lining, which is destroyed over time by wear mechanisms such as corrosion, thermal shock and spalling. The poor service life of the refractories has limited the availability of IGCC plants. Increasing profitability by extending the service life of gasifiers on the one hand and the replacement of high chrome oxide materials by environmentally friendly, recyclable and economic refractories on the other hand, will advance IGCC technology in the marketplace. New approaches in materials development are based on the use of chromia-free refractories with high resistance against thermal shock and corrosion.
KeywordsIGCC gasification chromium oxide alumina corrosion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Keller, D., Scholz, M.H.: Development perspectives of lignite-based IGCC-plants with CCS. VGB PowerTech 90 (2010)  30–34Google Scholar
- Mahgagaokar, U., Krewinghaus, A.B.: Coal Conversion Processes (Gasification). Ch. in Kirk-Othmer Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology, ed. by Kroschwitz, I.J., Howe-Grant, M., John Wiley & Sons, 6 (1992) 541–568Google Scholar
- Barnes, I.: Recent operating experience and improvement of commercial IGCC. Profiles 10 (2013) 52–53Google Scholar
- Kwong, K.-S., Bennett, J., Krabbe, R., Thomas, H., Powell, C.: Engineered refractories for slagging gasifiers. Amer. Ceram. Soc. Bull. 85 (2006) 17–20Google Scholar
- Dogan, C.P., Bennett, J.P., Kwong, K.-S., Chinn, R.E.: Refractory loss in slagging gasifiers. 7th UNITECR, Cancun, Mexico, (2001)Google Scholar
- Guo, Z.: Refractories for gasifiers. Amer. Ceram Soc. Bull. 83 (2004) 9101–9108Google Scholar
- Bennett, J.P., Kwong, K.-S.: Refractory liner materials used in slagging gasifiers. Refract. Appl. News 9 (2004) 20–25Google Scholar
- Bennett, J.P., Kwong, K.-S., Powell, C., Krabbe, R., Thomas, H., Petty, A.: Low chrome/chrome free refractories for slagging gasifiers. DOE/NETL-IR-2006-119 (2007) 200–206Google Scholar
- Gehre, P., Aneziris, C.G., Klinger, M., Schreiner, M., Neuroth, M.: Interaction of new alumina-titania-refractories with coal and gasifies slag. Proceedings 56th International Colloquium on Refractories (2013) 122–126Google Scholar