Hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism in monozygotic twins: Detection of stimulating and blocking THS receptor antibodies using the FRTL5-cell line
- 5 Downloads
We present a rare history of monozygotic twin girls who at the age of 10 yr presented with hyper- and hypothyroidism, respectively. Both girls had antibodies against thyrotropin receptors as measured by a radioreceptor assay (230 U/l and 1400 U/l; reference range < 7 U/l). The sera were further examined in a bioassay, based on a ratthyroid cell line(FRTL5), in which release of cAMP into medium was measured. The TSH receptor anti-bodies of the hyperthyroid twin displayed a ratio of radioreceptor to biological activity typical of Graves’ disease. In contrast, the antibodies of the hypothyroid twin acted as pure antagonists at the TSH receptor level. The occurrence of TSH receptor antibodies in these monozygotic twins suggests a similar pathogenesis of Graves’ disease and that of hypothyroidism due to thyroid blocking antibodies.
Key-wordsStimulating and blocking TSH-receptor antibodies Graves’ disease hypothyroidism FRTL5-cells
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 15.Mclean R., Howard N., Murray I.P.C. Thyroid dysgenesis in monozygotic twins: Variants identified by scintigraphy. Eur. J. Nucl. Med. 70:346, 1985.Google Scholar
- 19.Chertow B.S., Fidler W.J., Fariss B.L. Graves’ disease and Hashimoto’s thyroiditis in monozygotic twins. Acta Endocrinol. (Copenh.) 72:18, 1973.Google Scholar
- 20.Kasagi K., Konishi J., lida Y., Tokuda Y., Arai K., Endo K., Torizuka K. A sensitive and practical assay for thyroid-stimulating antibodies using FRTL-5 thyroid cells. Acta Endocrinol. (Copenh.) 115: 30, 1987.Google Scholar
- 21.Takeda K., Takamatsu J., Kasagi K., Sakane S., Ikegami Y., Isotani H., Majima T., Majima M., Kitaoka H., lida Y., Ikekubo K., Konishi J., Mozai T Development of hyperthyroidism following primary hypothyroidism: a case report with changes in thyroid-related antibodies. Clin. Endocrinol. (Oxf.) 28: 341, 1988.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Tamai H., Kasagi K., Takaichi Y., Komaki G., Matsubayashi S., Konishi J., Kuma K., Kumagai L.F., Nagataki S. Development of spontaneous hypothyroidism in patients with Graves’ disease treated with antithyroidal drugs: clinical, immunological, and histological findings in 26 patients. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 1: 49, 1989.CrossRefGoogle Scholar