Usefulness of endoscopic ultrasonography (EUS) in diagnosing esophageal infiltration of thyroid cancer
- 28 Downloads
Pre-operative evaluation of esophageal infiltration is sometimes difficult in patients with advanced thyroid cancer even with recent imaging modalities. We evaluated the accuracy of endoscopic ultrasonography (EUS) in diagnosing esophageal infiltration of thyroid cancer. Twenty-nine patients with advanced thyroid cancer underwent EUS and other imaging examinations before surgery. The diagnostic accuracy of EUS was compared with that of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and esophagography based on pathologic findings in 27 of the 29 cases. EUS clearly demonstrated the 5-layer structure of the esophageal wall. EUS detected cancer invasion into the muscularis propria of the esophagus correctly in 8 of 10 patients diagnosed pathologically with muscular infiltration. EUS was significantly more accurate than MRI and esophagography (88.9% vs 63.0% and 66.7%, respectively). The specificity of EUS was also significantly better than the specificities of MRI or esophagography (94.1% vs 58.8% and 64.7%, respectively). The sensitivity, positive predictive value and negative predictive value of EUS tended to be better than those of MRI and esophagography. EUS is useful in evaluating the esophageal infiltration of thyroid cancer. This method has the further advantage of detecting the exact depth of cancer invasion into the esophageal wall.
Key-wordsEndoscopic ultrasonography thyroid cancer esophageal invasion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Noguchi S. Differentiated thyroid carcinomas in Japan: our own experience and review of the literature. Thyroidol. Clin. Exp. 1998, 10: 41–50.Google Scholar
- 3.McCaffrey T.V., Bergstralh E.J., Hay I.D. Locally invasive papillary thyroid carcinoma: 1940–1990. Surgery 1994, 16: 165–172.Google Scholar
- 8.Jose F.B., Charles L. Endoscopic ultrasonography of the upper gastrointestinal tract. Radiol. Clin. North Am. 1992, 30: 1067–1083.Google Scholar
- 13.Buscail L. Endoscopic ultrasonography in pancreatobiliary disease using radial instruments. Gastrointest. Endosc. Clin. North Am. 1995, 5: 781–787.Google Scholar
- 14.Yasuda K., Hidekazu M., Nakajima M. Endoscopic ultrasonography diagnosis of pancreatic cancer. Gastrointest. Endosc. Clin. North Am. 1995, 5: 699–712.Google Scholar
- 17.Mukai H., Nakajima M., Yasuda K., Cho E., Mizuma Y., Hayakumo T., Ashihara T., Mizuno S., Murakita H., Hirano S., Hayashi M., Ikeda E., Kato G., Matsui T., Kobayashi M. Evaluation of endoscopic ultrasonography (EUS) in the diagnosis of cancer of the extrahepatic bile duct. Gastroenterol. Endosc. 1990, 32: 1893–1902.Google Scholar
- 20.Tanaka Y., Yasuda K., Aibe T., Fuji T., Kawai K. Anatomical and pathological aspects in ultrasonic endoscopy for GI tract. Scand. J. Gastroenterol. 1984, 94: 43–50.Google Scholar