A Parameterization Scheme of Surface Turbulent Momentum and Sensible Heat over the Gobi Underlying Surface
- 134 Downloads
The parameterization of surface turbulent fluxes over the Gobi Desert in arid regions is studied by using rationally screened observational data. First, the characteristics of Monin-Obukhov similarity functions are analyzed and their empirical formulae are fitted. The results show that fitted curves of changes of similarity functions of wind speed and temperature with stability parameter differ little from the typical empirical curves and are within the ranges of scatter of the empirical curves, but their values in the neutral condition arc different from the typical values to some extent. Furthermore, average values of momentum and scalar (sensible heat) roughness lengths as well as changes of scalar roughness length with friction velocity are determined by utilizing the data. It is found that the average values of scalar roughness length are about one order smaller than that of the momentum roughness length and decrease with increasing friction velocity, but they are evidently larger than their theoretically forecasted values.
Key wordsGobi surface turbulent flux parameterization similarity functions scalar roughness length
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chen J. Y., Wang J. M., and H. Mitsuaki, 1993: An independent method to determine the surface roughness length. Chinese J. Atmos. Sci., 17(1), 21–26. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Garratt, J. R., 1992, The Atmospheric Boundary Layer, Cambridge University Press, Combridge, 89–93.Google Scholar
- Kai, K. 1982: Statistical characteristics of turbulence and the budget of turbulent energy in the surface boundary layer. Environmental Research Center Paper No.1, University of Tsukuba.Google Scholar
- Monin, A. S., and A. M. Obukhov, 1954: Basic laws of turbulent mixing in the atmosphere near the ground. Tr. Geofiz. Inst. Akad, Nauk SSSR, 24(151), 163–187.Google Scholar
- Sorbjan, Z. 1989: Structure of the Atmospheric Boundary Layer., Prentice-Hall Inc., 317pp.Google Scholar
- Wang J. M., Cui T. M., Y. Mitsuta, and H. Mitsuaki, 1992: A real-time, low cost turbulence data acquisition and processing system. Plateau Meteor., 11(4), 451–490. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Zhang Q., and Hu Y. Q., 1992: The instrumental accuracy and observational error about microrneteorological mast of Chinese side in “HEIFE”. Plateau Meteor., 11(4), 460–469. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Zuo H. C., Hu Y. Q., 1992: The bulk transfer coefficient over Desert and Gobi in the Heihe region. Plateau Meteor., 11(4), 371–380. (in Chinese)Google Scholar