Influence of Welding Conditions on Nugget Formation in Single-Sided Resistance Spot Welding Process
- 292 Downloads
This paper describes the single-sided resistance spot welding (SSSW) process which is expected to be a productive welding technology for joining stamped sheet panels to hollow parts for auto bodies. To obtain guidelines for making a good weld with SSSW process, the influence of welding parameters and set-up conditions of the specimen upon nugget growth were investigated experimentally. In addition, a numerical study was carried out to establish the mechanism of nugget growth in the SSSW process. Since deflection of parts during welding is one of the features of the SSSW process, this report focuses on the influence of electrode force and the stiffness of the specimen upon nugget formation. In addition, the effect of electrode geometry was examined.
IIW-Thesaurus keywordsAssembling Computation Finite element analysis Manufacturing Resistance spot welding Resistance welding
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cho Y., Chang I., Lee H.: Single-sided resistance spot welding for auto body assembly, Welding Journal, 2006, vol. 85, no. 8, pp. 26–29.Google Scholar
- Noma K., Kato S.: Development of one-sided and twin spot welding, Welding Technology, 2004, No. 1, pp. 110–116 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- Hirai K., Takeuchi H., Nakagaichi T., Ikeda N.: One side tandem spot welding based on resistive heating controlled by multi step current (report 1), Proc. of Annual Meeting of JWS, 2006, vol. 79, pp. 384–385 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- Ikeda N., Nakagaichi T., Hirai K., Takeuchi H.: One side tandem spot welding based on resistive heating controlled by multi step current (report 2), Proc. of Annual Meeting of JWS, 2006, vol. 79, p. 386–387 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- Nishibata H., Fukumoto M., Uchihara M.: Influencing factors on nugget formation of single sided RSW, Proc. of Annual Meeting of JWS, 2007, vol. 81, pp. 81–82 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- Fukumoto M., Fujimoto H., Okamura K., Fukui K.: Finite element simulation of resistance spot welding process, JSAE 20037083, 2003, SAE 2003-01-2806, pp. 437–442.Google Scholar