Best Clinical Practice Guidance for clinicians dealing with children presenting with Molar-Incisor-Hypomineralisation (MIH)
BACKGROUND: The European Academy of Paediatric Dentistry (EAPD) has long recognised the necessity of promoting further research and knowledge regarding the dental defect described as molar-incisor-hypomineralisation (MIH). Following the establishment by EAPD of the defect diagnostic criteria in 2003, the publication of various papers and a whole issue assigned to the defect in the European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry (2008), an Interim Seminar and Workshop on MIH was organized in Helsinki in 2009. RESULT: The outcome of this event is the present consensus paper on the prevalence, diagnosis, aetiology and treatment for children and adolescents presenting with MIH. A clear diagnostic proposal and a treatment decision-making guide are presented together with suggestions on aetiology and guidance forfuture research. CONCLUSION: MIH is an important clinical problem that often concerns both the general dental and specialist paediatric dentists; the present ‘best clinical practice guidance’ aims to further help clinicians dealing with the condition.
Key WordsMolar-Incisor-Hypomineralisation clinical practice
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alaluusua S. Aetiology of Molar-Incisor Hypomineralisation. A systematic review. Eur Archs Paediatr Dent 2010; 10: 53–58Google Scholar
- American Academy of Paediatric Dentistry. Guideline on Paediatric Restorative Dentistry. Reference Manual 2008; 163–169.Google Scholar
- Innes NP, Stirrups DR, Evans DJ, Hall N, Leggate M. A novel technique using preformed metal crowns for managing carious primary molars in general practice — a retrospective analysis. Br.Dent J. 2006; (8): 451–454.Google Scholar
- Jälevik B. Prevalence and Diagnosis of Molar-Incisor-Hypomineralisation (MIH). A systematic review. Eur Archs Paediatr Dent 2010; 10: 59–64Google Scholar
- Weerheijm KL, Duggal M, Mejare I, et al. Judgement criteria for Molar-Incisor-Hypomineralisation (MIH) in epidemiologic studies: a summary of the European meeting on MIH held in Athens, 2003. Eur Archs Paediatr Dent 2003; 3: 110–113.Google Scholar