A comparative study of fissure sealants Helioseal Clear Chroma® and Delton® FS+: 3 year results
- 61 Downloads
AIM: To evaluate the retention rates of a resin based colour changing fissure sealant (Helioseal® Clear Chroma; Ivoclar Vivadent AG Schaan, Liechtenstein ) compared with a coloured resin based fluoride fissure sealant (Delton® FS+; Dentsply De Trey GmbH,Konstanz,Germany). METHODS: The fissure sealants (FS) were placed on all 4 caries-free first permanent molars of 31 children aged 6–9 years, using a half mouth experimental design by a paediatric dentist according to the manufacturers’ instructions. A total of 121 FS were placed at baseline. Teeth were evaluated at 3 month intervals for 36 months where a preventive program including topical fluoride application was applied. RESULTS: Retention rates for 36 months showed a differences between Delton® FS+ and Helioseal® Clear Chroma that were statistically significant (p<0.05). Delton® FS+had total retention rate of 30.4% for 36 months compared with Helioseal® Clear Chroma at 10.8% for the same evaluation period. Although Delton® FS+showed significantly better results than Helioseal® Clear Chroma for the evaluation periods, there were no statistically significant differences between Delton® FS+ (90.7%) and Helioseal® Clear Chroma (80.4%) with respect to caries incidence at 36 months(p>0.05). CONCLUSION: Delton® FS+showed a beter complete retention rate for occlusal FS at one year. Both FS were aesthetically acceptable and easy to see during application and follow-up periods and gave significant protection from occlusal decay.
Key wordsfissure sealants retention rate caries prevention clinical trial
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- American Academy Paediatric Dentistry. Clinical Guideline on Pediatric Restorative Dentistry. Pediatr Dent Reference Manual 2004;26(7):106–114Google Scholar
- Autio-Gold JT. Clinical evaluation of a medium-filled flowable restorative material as a pit and fissure sealant. Operative Dent 2002; 27:325–329.Google Scholar
- Cueto EI, Buonocore MG. Sealing of pits and fissures with an adhesive resin:its use in caries prevention. J. Amer Dent Assoc 1967;75:121–128.Google Scholar
- Dennison JB, Straffon LH, Smith RC. Effectiveness of sealant treatment over five years in an insured population. J. Amer Dent Assoc 2000 May;131:597–605.Google Scholar
- Güngör HC, Altay N, Alpar R. Clinical evaluation of a polyacid-modified resin composite-based fissure sealant: Two year results. Operative Dent 2004;29(3):254–260.Google Scholar
- Lygidakis NA, Oulis KI. A comparsion of Fluoroshield with Delton® fissure sealant:Fouryear results. Pediatr Dent 1999;2(7):429–431.Google Scholar
- Primosch RE, Barr E. Sealant use and placement techniques among pediatric dentists. J Amer Dent Assoc 2001;132:1442–1451.Google Scholar
- Welbury R, Raadal M, Lygidakis NA. EAPD Guidelines for the use of pit and fissure sealants. Europ.J. Ped. Dent 2004;3:179–184.Google Scholar