Cost Effectiveness of Interferon-Gamma Release Assay for School-Based Tuberculosis Screening
- 83 Downloads
To assess the cost effectiveness of school-based tuberculosis (TB) screening using QuantiFERON®-TB Gold In-Tube (QFT) versus the tuberculin skin test (TST) and chest x-ray examination (CXR).
We constructed Markov models of first-year high-school and university students, using a societal perspective, and followed them up until the age of 80 years. Three strategies (QFT, TST, and CXR) were modeled. All costs and clinical benefits were discounted at a fixed annual rate of 3%.
In the base-case analyses of 16-year-old high-school students and 19-year-old university students, the QFT strategy yielded the greatest benefits at the lowest cost [in year 2009 values] (16-year-olds: $US627.89, 29.69835 quality-adjusted life-years [QALYs]; 19-year-olds: $US646.04, 29.15361 QALYs), compared with the TST strategy (16-year-olds: $US943.50, 29.69767 QALYs; 19-year-olds: $US998.62, 29.15288 QALYs) and the CXR strategy (16-year-olds: $US7286.24, 29.69532 QALYs; 19-year-olds: $US7305.19, 29.14911 QALYs). On one-way sensitivity analyses, the bacillus Calmette-Guérin (BCG) vaccination rate was not sensitive to the TST strategy. On probabilistic sensitivity analysis, the QFT strategy was the most cost effective, with a willingness-to-pay level of $US50 000/QALY gained.
The QFT strategy provided the greatest benefits at the lowest cost for school-based TB screening. There appears to be little role for TST or CXR in screening of school populations. Current practices using either TST or CXR screening should be reconsidered on the basis of cost effectiveness.
No sources of funding were used to conduct this study or prepare this manuscript. The author has no conflicts of interest that are directly relevant to the content of this study.
- 4.Takayama N, Sakiyama H, Okabe N, et al. Cumulative national immunization rate of BCG vaccine in Japan [in Japanese]. J Jpn Med Assoc 2009; 137: 2132–6.Google Scholar
- 10.Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare. Guidelines of the Japanese School Safety and Health Law for students [in Japanese; online]. Available from URL: http://law.e-gov.go.jp/htmldata/S33/S33F03501000018.html [Accessed 2012 April 14].
- 15.Research Institute of Tuberculosis. Tuberculosis surveillance 2009 [in Japanese]. Tokyo: Research Institute of Tuberculosis, 2009 [online]. Available from URL: http://www.jata.or.jp/rit/ekigaku/ [Accessed 2012 April 14].
- 16.Statistics Bureau, Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications. Life tables, 2009. Tokyo: Statistics Bureau, 2010 [online]. Available from URL: http://www.mhlw.go.jp [Accessed 2012 April 14].
- 17.Tuberculosis Surveillance Center, Research Institute of Tuberculosis, Japan Anti-Tuberculosis Association. Tuberculosis annual report 2008 — series 5: case finding [in Japanese]. Kekkaku 2010; 85 (2): 139–42.Google Scholar
- 18.Ohmori M. Probability of having latent tuberculosis infection in Japan [in Japanese]. Tokyo: Research Institute of Tuberculosis, 2009 May [online]. Available from URL: www.jata.or.jp/rit/ekigaku/index.php/download_file/-/view/961/ [Accessed 2012 April 14].
- 20.World Health Organization. Tuberculosis country profiles [online]. Available from URL: http://www.who.int/tb/country/data/profiles/en/index.html [Accessed 2012 April 14].
- 22.Tuberculosis Research Committee (Ryoken). Relapse rate of tuberculosis treated with standard regimen of chemotherapy [in Japanese]. Kekkaku 2009; 84: 617–25.Google Scholar
- 24.International Union Against Tuberculosis Committee on Prophylaxis. Efficacy of various durations of isoniazid preventive therapy for tuberculosis: five years of follow-up in the IUAT trial. Bull World Health Organ 1982; 60: 555–64.Google Scholar
- 27.Igakutsushin-sya. Medical insurance reimbursement table in Japan [in Japanese]. Tokyo: Igakutsushin-sya, 2010.Google Scholar
- 28.Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare. Basic survey on wage structure in Japan. Tokyo: Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare, 2007.Google Scholar
- 29.Statistics Bureau, Director-General for Policy Planning (Statistical Standard) & Statistical Research and Training Institute. Japanese consumer price index 2010 [online]. Available from URL: http://www.stat.go.jp/english/data/cpi/index.htm [Accessed 2012 April 14].
- 30.Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare. Basic survey on wage structure [online]. Available from URL: http://www.mhlw.go.jp [Accessed 2012 April 14].