Sharing Analysis Based on Type Inference
- First Online:
- 21 Downloads
This paper presents a framework for sharing analysis based on type inference. The type system used in this paper is a modified version of Milner’s type system. The soundness of the analysis is defined by the semantics of types extended for sharing information and proved with respect to an operational semantics for a strict language. It is also shown that the information obtained by the analysis can be applied to compile-time garbage collection.
KeywordsSharing analysis Type inference Compile-time garbage collection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Bak90]Baker, H. G.: Unify and conquer (garbage, updatind, aliasing,…) in functional languages. In Proc. ACM Conf. Lisp and Functional Programming, 1990.Google Scholar
- [DaM82]Damas, L. and Milner, R.: Principal type-schemes for functional programs. In Proc. ACM Symp. on Principles of Prog. Languages, 1982.Google Scholar
- [ISY88]Inoue, K., Seki, H. and Yagi, H.: Analysis of functional programs to detect run-time garbage cells. ACM Transaction on Programming Languages and Systems, Vol. 10, No. 4,, 1988.Google Scholar
- [Jen91]Jensen, T. P.: Strictness analysis in logical form. In Proc. Functional Programming Languages and Computer Architecture, LNCS 523. Springer-Verlag, 1991.Google Scholar
- [JoM89]Jones, S. B. and Le Métayer, D.: Compile-time garbage collection by sharing analysis. In Functional Programming Languages and Computer Architecture. ACM Press, 1989.Google Scholar
- [KuM89]Kuo, T.-M. and Mishra, P.: Strictness analysis: A new perspective based on type inference. In Proc. Functional Programming Languages and Computer Architecture. ACM Press, 1989.Google Scholar
- [Myc81]Mycroft, A.: Abstract Interpretation and Optimizing Transformations for Applicative Programs. PhD thesis, Department of Computer Science,University of Edinburgh, 1981. CST-15-81.Google Scholar
- [Tof88]Tofte, M.: Operational Semantics and Polymorphic Type Inference. PhD thesis, Department of Computer Science,University of Edinburgh, 1988. CST-52-88.Google Scholar
- [Tof90]Tofte, M.: Type inference for polymorphic references. Information and Computation, Vol. 89, No. 1, 1990.Google Scholar